We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mystery tigridia  (Read 1000 times)

PaulFlowers

Mystery tigridia
« on: August 05, 2019, 07:35:28 PM »
I bought this as seed from Mexico as tigridia dugesii. It’s a lovely pendulous flower with a very savoury smell.

Any ideas? Could it be a hybrid?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:38:33 PM by PaulFlowers »

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Mystery tigridia
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »
Doesn't look like any I've grown. I have Molseed's monograph somewhere but can't find it at the moment - if it turns up I'll let you know. Edmund Heaton used to have a National Collection of them down in Devon; I'll ask if he knows for you.

Paul Christian has listed a number over the years but the only nodding one was galanthoides;
https://www.rareplants.co.uk/product-category/archive/tigridia-archive/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 09:50:34 PM by Gail »
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

PaulFlowers

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 05:47:12 AM »
Thanks Gail! An American list (PBS) has suggested  T. hallbergii subsp. lloydii and on Instagram tigridia meleagris.

I’m just overjoyed it’s yet not another red pavona. I’ve grown others from seed and bought expensive bulbs to face this awful disappointment. I’ve a few other species that will hopefullñyflower this summer; fingers crossed!

Gail

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 07:12:12 PM »
Heard back from Edmund; "I believe it is Tigridia hallbergii ssp lloydii a beautiful plant, I seem to recall it is scented."
So nice that he agrees with the American list. Sadly he lost most of his collection in a bad winter. (I lost all of mine through carelessness! But have recently sown some old seed I found in the back of a drawer...)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

PaulFlowers

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 05:28:10 AM »
Thanks Gail! Really appreciate the detective work.

I am now ridiculously hopefully that some of the others might actually not be red pavona too. Which seeds have you planted?

Gail

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »
T. chiapensis (germinating)
T. meleagris
T. orthantha (germinating)
T. vanhouttei (germinating)
T. violacea

Some of the seed is very (shamefully) old but I'm a never-say-die sort of person so thought I'd try it anyway...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal