We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Natural pollinators  (Read 1180 times)

Andrew Gardner

Natural pollinators
« on: March 02, 2020, 10:00:04 PM »
With the horrendous weather we have been having in the UK including gales and flooding, I was pondering the impact this would have on our natural pollinators, including bumblebee and honeybees etc. I have many clumps of snowdrops and eranthis, as well as pots of iris reticulata growing at my allotment, however  I have yet to set eyes on a early foraging Queen bumblebee, or honeybee this winter . I would be interested in hearing your observations and experience of winter pollination, as well as your understanding of how these particular varieties propagate by pollination in general.
Best wishes,
Andrew

WSGR

Re: Natural pollinators
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 06:54:26 AM »
I have seen and heard bumblebees quite a few times. If you are keen to do your bit, you could buy some single purpurea Hellebores as they are the first flowers to provide nectar for bumbles. Bees were buzzing around them and feeding on them.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal