We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Are Tricyrtis hirta seeds easy to germinate?  (Read 642 times)

WSGR

Are Tricyrtis hirta seeds easy to germinate?
« on: March 20, 2020, 07:02:41 AM »
Interested in having some Tricyrtis hirta and wonder if anyone has had any experience in germinating their seeds. Do they take a long time and how long will it take them to flower please? Thank you in advance.

Véronique Macrelle

Re: Are Tricyrtis hirta seeds easy to germinate?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »
I have already sown Tricyrtis hirta with seeds (small, round and flat) from my garden. they germinate easily in spring.
on the other hand the seedlings are often devoured by slugs or small flies.
the cotyledon looks like a tiny lily leaf (3/4 mm long, and a little soft); the seedling is saved when it makes its second leaf.
I do not transplant the first year.

on my seedling pot (not transplanted) the tallest plant (about 10 cm) flowered the same year, but only making one flower.

661903-0

WSGR

Re: Are Tricyrtis hirta seeds easy to germinate?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 06:54:32 AM »
Thank you, Véronique! That's a real beauty, even though there is only one. So I'm a bit late buying them. I will do so any way. It's so pretty.

That really influences my decision to buy or not. You will have lots to come. Don't think they are as promiscuous as hellebores?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal