We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Clematis help ?  (Read 747 times)

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
Clematis help ?
« on: May 10, 2020, 05:42:41 PM »
Hello I am looking for an alternative to Clematis.
For years I had Clematis alpina on the house, up to 4 m high. This has probably died suddenly due to a root disease.
I now have another clematis sitting there, but it doesn't really get along with the soil and climate (Alps / mountains). The soil is lean, without humus, lime, gravel and relatively dry.
Is there a clematis that can cope with these conditions and is 4 or more meters high? Or - even better - is there an alternative? A Boan species from Asia would be ideal. No hybrids please! My preferred candidates would be e.g. Clematis armandii or Clematis viticella
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

WSGR

Re: Clematis help ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
Armandii only flowers once in a year. How about Madame Julia Correvon?

A viticella and reblooming and it is flowering now in my garden and will flower again well into frost time here in England. AGM holder - will do well in most garden UK though!

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 08:10:56 AM »
he clematis now growing there is: Clematis paniculata (terniflora) / maximowiczaiana .... no good success :-(

What do you think about Clematis potaninii ?
Does anyone have experience with this and could maybe sell me some fresh seeds later (if ripe) to try?

Greetings
Bernd
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:19:54 AM by Catwheazle »

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:02:30 AM »
Armandii is superb  with its evergreen foliage and fragrant, but it is a giant and I think C. terniflora even more.

C. viticella Julia Corevon is actually puncture-proof, but it's a hybrid, isn't it?

And the Clematis viticella wild form? it is vigorous ..

if the place is dry, whatever clematis you plant, it will be necessary to water every week the first year for it to settle: this is how I managed to grow C. cirrhosa well in a place like that.

Clematis viticella
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:09:29 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »
>if the place is dry, whatever clematis you plant, it will be necessary to water every week the first year for it to settle: this is how I managed to grow C. cirrhosa well in a place like that.

Thank you. I did that too. It is now in its third year in place and has only sprouted with one branch. I just took a closer look at the plant: the leaves appear scarred, as in aphid infestation, but no pests are visible. I have now sprayed prophylactically with an insecticide. But fear that it could be something like the Cucumber mosaic virus :-(
If it really should be a virus, of course I can no longer plant clematis here.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal