We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Silica plant food  (Read 139 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Silica plant food
« on: June 26, 2024, 08:11:13 PM »
I have been reading about a plant food which goes under the brand name Hortisil, described as a Silica based product and regarded as” the forgotten nutrient “. Its claims are Increased resistance to attack by fungi and insects, Decreased effects from powdery mildew, amongst others. A discussion on a Facebook post from about 4 years ago also stated it was giving good resistance to attacks by root aphid on Primulas. With further investigation I find the price is £85, far too expensive for an honorary Yorkshireman like myself .
Has anyone ever used this or could you recommend a more “ Yorkshire friendly “ silica based product?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Silica plant food
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 09:15:24 PM »
This paper may be of interest to those who have not considered this supplement:
https://ojs.lib.unideb.hu/IJHS/article/view/9096

I searched "silicon as a horticultural feed" and came up with a large selection of options- noone of them particularly inexpensive!  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=silicon%20as%20a%20horticultural%20feed&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&lq=0&pq=silicon%20as%20a%20horticultural%20feed&sc=10-31&cvid=BE243C1E41B9439CA87B9174F0837F8B&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&first=1
Some tyoes come in small packs which do not cost a great deal and may be worth experimentation.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

partisangardener

• Luther Art
Re: Silica plant food
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 09:23:46 PM »
I have a bag of powdered silicon. Was once 40ty kilos and cost then about 20ty € the sack. 50ty cent a kilo.
I believe it was for pottery used.
But wear a mask when working with it. In your lungs it will stay forever. (Silicosis)
I did use it for plants: aphids disappear and maybe leafs are getting harder.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal