We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anybody tell me pleeease what is this?  (Read 4675 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Anybody tell me pleeease what is this?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 08:34:29 AM »
OK, from "Bulbs" by John E Bryan (Revised Edition, 2002) - with minor changes to remove abbreviations etc, hopefully no spelling mistakes from me in it as I'm typing.  ;D....

Z. grandiflora. FAIRY LILY.  Mexico and Guatemala, in damp woodland and naturalized in many warm countries, including South Africa; introduced 1824.  Stems to 12 inc., reddish at base.  Leaves usually 3, narrow, strap-shaped, upright to 12 inches long and 1/4 inches wide.  Pedicel 1 inch long, as is spathe.  Flowers large, clear pink with white throat; perianthe segments to 3 inches long, 1 inch wide; style longer than stamens.  Flowering late summer.  Very pretty but requires frost-free conditions.

Z. rosea.  Guatemala, Cuba and West Indies; instroduced 1823.  Stems to 6 inches.  Leaves narrow, straplike, produced with flowers, 8 inches long and to 1/4 inches wide.  Flowers rose pink with greenish base, about 1 inch in diameter; style longer than stamens.  Flowering late summer.  Surprisingly hardy considering its origins; with the protection of a warm wall, it tolerates termperatures as low as 25'F.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
Re: Anybody tell me pleeease what is this?
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
So mine is grandiflora.  :)

You know what? I'm feeling myself more gardener than botanist. May it be rosea or grandiflora (or both  ;D), or even Habranthus, I think they need the same conditions, and that's what is important for me. And thank you very much to all of you for your help!  :-*
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal