We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Specific Info of Seed Donations for '24  (Read 162 times)

Grahame Ware

Specific Info of Seed Donations for '24
« on: October 08, 2024, 09:14:35 PM »
Hi: I had this idea that via the Forum format more specific information on individual seed could be shared with members on the upcoming '24 SRGC Seedex. I understand that not ALL seed needs to be detailed but that there are many that do. Eventually these entries could be organized (yes I'll volunteer!) and be something useful that members could go over before they order their seed. First, I'll start with one of my own donations-- Lewisia aff. triphylla.

Lewisia aff. triphylla (ex R. Simpson collection Mono Co., California >4000’)

This small succulent was collected by late Alpine Garden Club of BC member, Roger Simpson, in California in Mono Co. in the late 90’s. It was then gifted to UBC coming under the care of then alpine curator, Brent Hine, in about 2005 after Simpson’s passing. It was then given to me in 2010 by Brent Hine ostensibly because he had a hard time keeping Lewisia going at the UBC Botanical Garden and felt that it might have a better chance in my hands and on the drier east coast of Vancouver Island. He was correct. The collection notes were transmitted orally but Hine recalls that Simpson collected it from “high elevation at least 4000’ in Mono County, California”.
It has proven to be tough and durable living in a small slate pot (also a gift from Simpson/UBCBG) for these past 10 years. It is the first Lewisia to flower here, about March/early April. It aestivates during Summer but Fall rains sees the leaves re-emerge. Seedlings look scrawny and wholly unimpressive when they are young. Over time the rosette they will quickly increase in size but still will only be about an inch in height. It does make a good, hardy pot succulent. The seed has proven viable.
I have repotted it a few times with my media being a coarse sand (30-40%), Perlite (30%) and a pumice/peat mix the remainder. I only liquid feed it in the early Spring and after flowering I do nothing. I keep it lean. As I mentioned above, it flowers earlier than all other Lewisia that I’ve grown over the years with a profusion of flowers mostly whitish with pink petal segments running through the rays of the petals like many Lewisia.

The very useful Jepson Herbarium at the U of California, Berkley has a detailed botanical description here: https://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/eflora/eflora_display.php?tid=30846

However, looking at the Jepson Manual keys, this would appear to be a unique form or a natural hybrid with another deciduous type such as nevadensis, glandulosa or pygmae.

This is an alpine type so keep it growing it outside in a good pot, crevice garden or between the cracks of large boulders. Most Lewisia love an eastern exposure in my opinion likely because it helps the growth and habit/form of the plant.
I'll post pix when I figure out how best to do that here on the Forum.

Attaining bliss in the garden is hard work! But what else are you going to do?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal