We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 14615 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: November 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2008, 10:30:34 PM »
Ashley,

My D. merckii grows to around 1 to 1.2m, not needing staking at all.  No flop about it.

My D. coccinea grows to about 1.5m if it gets plenty of water, but otherwise to about 1.2m.  Great colour, isn't it!!?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:45 PM »
Hi Paul,

Amazing the difference in D. merckii isn't it?  Your coccinea sounds very well-behaved too; does it perchance set seed...?  ;) 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »
I have not had seed on either as yet, but I do tend to deadhead to promote more flowers.  Will see what I can do though.  You're just wanting the coccinea, or both?  Bear in mind that we do also have quite high light levels (read that as... get the bejeebers baked out of them every summer), which may help to make some of our plants a bit more statuesque.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2008, 11:52:44 PM »
Cheers Paul, just one or two coccinea flowers discretely allowed to go to seed toward the end of the season would be great if you don't mind.  You may well be right about attenuation due to lower light intensity here but it would be interesting to try.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal