We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fancy that! Interesting News stories  (Read 1841 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Fancy that! Interesting News stories
« on: March 12, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
Breakthrough for treatment of African violet pathogen Pectobacterium chrysanthemi
by Miranda Kimberley
 from HortWeek.com
12 March 2009

"Scientists at the University of Warwick may have found a way to tackle Pectobacterium chrysanthemi ,a pathogen that attacks African violets.

The research team alongside colleagues from the University of St Andrews have been investigating the bacteria Pectobacterium chrysanthemi that afflicts plants - particularly Saintpaulia. It operates by competing with its host for iron.

But the research project has discovered the method by which the bacteria harvests iron, using an enzyme catalyst called achromobactin which binds citric acid.

They have found a way to block or inhibit this chemical pathway so that the bacterium is starved of iron.

Members of the Warwick University research team, which has undertaken further work into the area, believe the discovery may provide help in the treatment of several virulent and even deadly mammalian infections including anthrax.

The article on African violet pathogen research, by Dr Nadia Kadi, Dr Daniel Oves-Costales, Dr Lijiang Song and Professor Gregory Challis et al, appears in the March 2009 issue of Nature Chemical Biology."

Members of the Warwick University research team, which has undertaken further work into the area, believe the discovery may provide help in the treatment of several virulent and even deadly mammalian infections including anthrax.
..... that is a somewhat surprising direction for the research to have taken, isn't it.... but undeniably useful if it succeeds!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Fancy that! Interesting News stories
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
interesting--and a good example of why general science should be encouraged! not that this was pure research--there's money in african violets...lol

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »
This was NEWS to me...... John Massey of Ashwood Nurseries will be featured on UK Television on Friday night 13th March......See John’s Garden on BBC2 Gardeners World Special : Plant Addicts with Carol Klein.
Friday, 13th March. 8pm.
This is the first programme of a new series,  when Carol Klein meets a selection of plantholics in the first of three 60-minute specials.  There is a clip from the great Roy Lancaster's garden on the BBC website, http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardenersworld/  which I suppose will only be available in the UK.

I  was puzzled as to why the links did not work outside the  UK and was told that it was to stop non-licence payers benefitting from the BBC ...... So much for spreading the word so that there is more demand for the BBC to sell their programming world-wide!  :P

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:55:16 PM »
The link works perfectly here in Ireland. I have always loved Roy Lancaster's talks and writings.

I wonder if it is possible to view television channels on the internet as I do miss the BBC gardening programmes.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:30:54 PM »
Paddy, if that link is working for you, then it should be possible for you to view the programme live on the internet or later on the BBC i-player ..... worth a try, I think.
We are great fans of Roy Lancaster ....he is a charming man and has sent us lots of super seed over the years  8)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »
The link works perfectly here in Ireland.
Paddy

Not alas in New Zealand. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 10:57:41 PM »
Maggi,

Unfortunately, BBC i player doesn't work. How I wish it did.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:00:58 AM »
I have a plant of Sorbus gonganshanica from Roy Lancaster berries. Anyone know this plant?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 01:44:08 AM »
The link works perfectly here in Ireland.
Paddy

Not alas in New Zealand. :'(
But quite bizarely, it works here in Australia :o! Don't tell the BBC! ;D
I'd not seen Roy "live" before as far as I can remember; he seems a charming chap.
Maggi,
please post the link to tonight's episode when it's available and hopefully our luck will hold!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »
Yes, I was at a recording of two 'Gardeners' Question Time' in Dunblane and he offered berries to anyone who could remember the name Sorbus gonganshanica at the end. ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal