We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books and Journals for Sale and Wanted  (Read 3731 times)

Keith Alexander

Books and Journals for Sale and Wanted
« on: February 02, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »
Possibly not the right place to ask here so apologies in advance as I did not see a forum for item for sale

I have virtually a full set of the AGS Bulletin (only 3 missing) right back to number one, ditto a full set of the SRGC journal where would be the best place to sell them?

I have been considering Ebay but have never seen any on there for sale so have not been able to gauge a sensible reserve price.

Can anyone recommend a very well frequented Alpine related forum where I can ask a similar question please?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:09:22 PM by Maggi Young »

Greenmanplants

• With Sparklers in November
Re: Selling SRGC and AGS Bulletins?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:01:31 PM »
Keith,

Sounds like a fantastic collection though I'm not sure how marketable it might be.  The AGS fairly regularly gets donations of sizeable but usually incomplete sets of bulletins, and sadly increasingly there are fewer people looking for all the back issues.  I still lack a few of the early ones although I'm virtually there.
Best regards,

John H

Cheers, John H. Hampshire
 England, zone 8/9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »
John makes a valid point, Keith, there is a limited market for the nowadays. There may well be someone outthere who is on the lookout for just such a collection, and this is as good a place as any to reach those folks, I would think.  Those lucky people who were members of SRGC the other year when everyone was given a CD with all the back issues of the Rock Garden on, have been able to source all those years of information on their pcs. 
Ian and I were lucky enough to buy a full set of old AGS bulletins, beautifully bound in hardcover, quite a few years ago, when the collection of a well-known grower went to the auction rooms after his death. Cost lots, and that was at least ten years ago. Good luck.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Keith Alexander

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:23:54 PM »
Yes I know what you mean I have them all in numbered binders and they look very good on the custom book case I had made. Problem is I don't read them that often!

Or rather the bits I read are not necessarily directly plant related there are some excellent comments during the war years and it is interesting to note the changes in attitude to collecting in the wild over the years as well.

I bought most of my colection from Lloyds of Kew many many years ago no idea if they are still there or not!

I too have the SRGC CD which was an excellent idea.

I am not in any way certain if I intend to sell them or not, problem is, three growing boys and schooling fees looming :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 03:19:28 PM by Keith Alexander »

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »
Can anyone help me locate a book on the cultivation and hybridising of Hepaticas.
I have tried all the usual sources and failed to locate any kind of book on the subject. There is not even one on cultivation.
I do have the Ashwood cultural guide, but I want something with more information.
Cheers.

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
Re: Books and Journals for Sale and Wanted
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »
Hi Micheal,
Not to sure if this helps,the Japanese are big into Hybr Hepaticas,
Go on to google and find the various web sites under Hepatica,maby if you get in thouch with one of them the might be able to help you on the road,if I here something meanwile I let you know,ok
Cheers,
Guy
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »
BOOKS BY BRIAN MATHEW

Just had a scan through www.abebooks.co.uk and came up with the following in case anyone is interested: (Books are my second obsession after plants!!)

1. at UK bookshops.

The Iris published by Batsford 1989   £30 plus £3.35 post and packing to UK

Flowers of Crete (which Brian Mathew edited ) publishe by Michael Joseph 1982  £55  plus £4.85 post and package in UK

Bulbous Plants of Turkey  published by Royal Botanical Garden, Kew.  a brand new copy.  £75  plus £4.85 p/p in UK

Dwarf Bulbs  Published Batsford 1973  £15  plus £3.75 in UK

2. at USA bookshops

There must have a number of reprints of the book "The Iris" by different publishers and books are available in at least 4 different bookshops ranging in price from £17.29 plus £2.01 p/p in the USA to £35 42 plus p/p in the USA

For those who are not aware ABE BOOKs acts as a marketing organ for numerous independent booksellers (no doubt they have to give a percentage of their selling prices in return for the service provided by ABE Books). It is perfectly safe to use the facility and I use it with great regularity, and have never had a problem. I should say though that I am neither a bookseller nor acting in any way for aforesaid ABE Books. I am just an avid reader. Some of the books will be brand new and others will be second hand, and sometimes the second hand ones will be ex-library copies. A description of the condition of each book is given on the web site. When ordering your order is made, and credit card payment given (fully safe web site) to ABE Books whoo pass it on to your chosen Bookseller who processes the order and ships. You are informed regularly by Email on the current state of your order.

There is a European version of the Site and there maybe (I am not sure!) a USA version. In any case if any of our USA friends are interested in a book only available from a UK bookseller then there are sufficient of us prepared to advis on the fairness (or not as the case maybe) of any price quoted for shipping.

I hope the above is useful.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 08:04:22 PM »
We have used AbeBooks very successfully, too, David, and will do so again.
I am more than happy to endorse any and all books written by the Young's Bulb Hero, Brian Mathew!
Great info in a readable style, what more could you ask?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 06:06:41 AM »
Hi All

I love books too - the first place I look for secondhand books is

http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk  (This searches ABE and about a dozen other sites at the same time).

The next place is http://www.amazon.co.uk (the above does not search Amazon UK for some reason!).  If you find a book on Amazon look for the 'Used and New' link.  This takes you to the Amazon market place that comprises of lots of other book sellers offering the book at different prices.

And, of course, it is always worth having a glance at ebay but don't get sucked into bidding more than you intend to!

John
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 06:13:45 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
I have a continuous run of AGS Journals from Volume 30 to 58 (1962 - 1990) which are 'surplus to requirements'.
If you would like these, for free, please let me know, either to collect from my home or from a show.
If you wanted them posted they weigh 20kg.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal