We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather early 2009  (Read 51515 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Weather early 2009
« Reply #510 on: May 21, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
Mark,

Ouch!!  Not a good look, is it?  Commiserations.   :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #511 on: May 21, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about your computer connection probs, Mark..... but your hail damage is worse than any of those other probs.... what a mess!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #512 on: May 21, 2009, 12:47:30 PM »
The Tulips, clusiana cultivars and Gavota, had their heads either broken off or bend over. The damage to large leaved plants in Margaret Glynns garden is terrible. Where leaves weren't shredded they have brown marks where the hail must have destroyed cells in the leaves. We had flash floods yesterday but overall the weather has been really good over the last two weeks with temperatures in the high teens.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #513 on: May 22, 2009, 07:56:08 AM »
The Tulips, clusiana cultivars and Gavota, had their heads either broken off or bend over. The damage to large leaved plants in Margaret Glynns garden is terrible. Where leaves weren't shredded they have brown marks where the hail must have destroyed cells in the leaves. We had flash floods yesterday but overall the weather has been really good over the last two weeks with temperatures in the high teens.

sorry to hear :( we had some hail a week or so back, but no damage-most things arent that advanced, and i guess it wasnt hard/large enough to damage the small rockery succulents i have sitting out in pots..
the more than 6inches of snow, though (maybe 10?) did some damage to the pulsatilla flowers, oh well..
cohan

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #514 on: May 25, 2009, 12:58:41 PM »
Cohan, I hardly dare tell you it's 27.5 degrees C here today - much hotter than normal over the past 2 days.  I've been in and out all day gardening whilst the dog is 'hunting' (in her dreams!) in the cool of the chalet   ;) Hope the weather improves and warms up for you soon  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #515 on: May 26, 2009, 06:30:35 AM »
Cohan, I hardly dare tell you it's 27.5 degrees C here today - much hotter than normal over the past 2 days.  I've been in and out all day gardening whilst the dog is 'hunting' (in her dreams!) in the cool of the chalet   ;) Hope the weather improves and warms up for you soon  ;)

thanks--we haven't been bad at all--low 20's the last few days, though still some chilly nights near/just below freezing, and next few days similar -19-23C days, nights 3-9C..
things are greening fast...

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #516 on: May 26, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
Trying to work out what those dark green patches next to the trees across the Callendar Road from my class room. They weren't there yesterday! I have been told they are called 'sha-dose' and are connected with that strange orangey-yellow round thing that has appeared in the sky? Can't remember what it is called? ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #517 on: May 26, 2009, 12:12:21 PM »
Anthony,

It's called "an active imagination".  ;)  You're in Scotland, you never actually see the SKY do you?  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #518 on: May 26, 2009, 01:06:21 PM »
Here we had yesterday more than 34° C ....very unusual for this time  :o
last night a lot of rain ,thunder and ligthning ....and the wetherforecast says very bad wether for this afternoon ( a serious warnung with hail ,storm and more )
In last week we had a very bad hail shower near of us ( 10 km ) ....a friend of mine who lives 3 km from me had 8 holes in his greenhouse -here only a bit rain
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #519 on: May 26, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »
After yesterday's heat wave (29-30°C) we had bad thunderstorms also during the night.  I just got lots of rain, but only 40 km from here people were bombarded with hail the size of tennis balls...
Huge damage on houses - cars - etc... don't even want to talk about gardens...  :-\
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:29:19 PM by Luc Gilgemyn »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #520 on: May 27, 2009, 03:45:41 AM »
Ouch.  That doesn't sound fun at all.  I hope no-one was killed?  Awlasy possible if outdoors with hail that size.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #521 on: May 27, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
No people injured Paul (not by the hail anyway), the storm occurred during the night so most people were safely inside. They showed some of these "balls" on tv and they were measured between 6 and 10 cm diameter...  :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #522 on: May 29, 2009, 07:31:58 PM »
Butterfly weather here, they're everywhere enjoying the sunshine and the wild flowers  ;D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal