We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paraquilegia anemonoides  (Read 4831 times)

Tony Garthwaite

Paraquilegia anemonoides
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »
Having purchased a small specimen of Paraquilegia anemonoides about six years ago and managing to keep it alive for 2 years before it died.......(though it struggled through those 2 years)......I bought another small specimen at the Kent show in March this year.
This one is doing 'nicely thank you' having been potted on at the beginning of May, but it seems to be overflowing its new pot already.
My problem is trying to find notes on culture of this plant. also, how large a pot may I finish up with if it continues to thrive?...(Thrive!! this is a possibility my learned friends in The Local Society seem to think unlikely!!!)
Anyone got any tips on 'How to succeed with Paraquilegia anemonoides'?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:36:39 PM by Maggi Young »

Martinr

Re: paraquilegia anemonoides
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »
I've never tried growing it but in answer to your question on size there have been a number of Farrer Medal winning exhibits displayed in pans approaching the 36cm diameter limit for AGS shows
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:37:02 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Paraquilegia anemonoides
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 12:43:40 PM »
Hello, Tony, welcome to the Forum. 
Where do you live? Are you intending to grow the Paraquilegia in the garden or in a pot in an alpine house? 
If in the garden, then I would strongly suggest planting it in a trough, where you can keep a close eye on it, for aphid attack, for example, and be able to put a wee lid of glass or clear plastic overhead to keep it a bit protected from freezing rain in the winter.... if your area is prone to such weather!

I think there may be journal articles about growing the plant as a pot specimen.... I'll check that out and report back later.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »
try the AGS  journal vol 73 pages 272-85 an article by the Browns. There plants have never been bettered or I would say even equaled.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »
That's it! the Brown's are well equipped to write such an article.... if you have not got that AGS bulletin, Tony (  Garthwaite ) then let me know and I will copy the article for you.

Our mentor, Harlod Esslemont, grew the plant successfull, noting that after fifteen years the rootstock was "rather woody" .... chance to find out would be a fine thing, I hear you cry!
Harold suggested growing it in not too large a pot, renewing the top surface each year in Spring and giving a light feed of powdered  "hoof and horn" . He warned against over-potting and overfeeding.
Caution is advised because the plant is deep rooted.
In a trough , in a deep crevice, where the ( as in a pot) the root run is free draining but always retains a little moisture, with some shade  from the mid-day sun, the plant can prove happy.
An overhead cover is advised for outside in winter. Always keep a vigil against aphid attack, as I said already... this casn be fatal to the plant.
 Flower buds can be expected on seedling in their third year.
 In the wide natural range of the plant, it  can be found in crevices on both limestone cliffs, as in Kashmir, and granite cliffs  as in Afghanistan. even in some granitic areas, I am told that it prefers areas where there is some lime present in the pockets in the rocks where it lives. :-\

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:30:17 PM »
Maggi
If Tony has not got the relevant Bulletin I have, he's not far from me in Lincolnshire.

Mike
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »
Mike,  many thanks for that kind  offer. M  :-*

Tony Garthwaite

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »
Most impressed with the replies! Many thanks!
'Do not over pot' seems to be a most important observation.
Also, though it is in the same section of my greenhouse (in a pot) it is in more shade than its ill-fated predecessor!
I'll check on the Bulletin and if I have not got it, I'll go "Cap-in -hand" to my friend Mike!

36 cm Eh?  ...................Maybe one day.......!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 07:41:08 PM »
Not sure how big this one,( pictured on the SRGC Forum by Sue Gill) from the Cleveland AGS SHow 2007, was, or who grew it, but perhaps you could show yours the photo as an encouragement?!!

147253-0

Tony Garthwaite

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 09:08:47 PM »
Thanks Maggie, Stunned by the picture!!!
Funnily enough, the first plant was bought at the Cleveland show I believe! Maybe a sibling of the one in the photo!

Right! a slightly larger pot, deep, with good drainage!  On with the challenge!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »
Here in NZ my friend Louise Salmond recently moved a so-so one into a small poly fishbox trough or pot really (suitably carved and surfaced). A one plant size and it (the Para) has gone from strength to strength, filling its new home beautifully.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:41:22 PM »
Here is a pic of a Paraquilegia anemonoides I planted in a west facing scree bed last year, it is shaded by the house until 11am in summer. It was not covered last winter.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »
I hoped you would post a photo of that one, Michael.... the flower size is really big and the colour so  deep..... very nice form!

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 11:48:33 PM »
Not sure how big this one,( pictured on the SRGC Forum by Sue Gill) from the Cleveland AGS SHow 2007, was, or who grew it, but perhaps you could show yours the photo as an encouragement?!! 

It was big! and it was grown by Mike and Christine Brown
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal