We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Gala 2009  (Read 11440 times)

omegaman11

Re: Galanthus Gala 2009
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 08:25:48 AM »
Hi Whoever took the fab picture of Galanthus EA Bowles  shown here, would they please mind if the Lee Valley Regional park used it for the press release on  last Saturdays Gala?
Thanks
Bryan Hewitt
Senior Gardener  Myddelton House

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »
Hi Whoever took the fab picture of Galanthus EA Bowles  shown here, would they please mind if the Lee Valley Regional park used it for the press release on  last Saturdays Gala?
Thanks
Bryan Hewitt
Senior Gardener  Myddelton House

Brian, if Mark or John [KentGardener], who both posted pictures of the snowdrop E.A.Bowles on this thread, don't reply then try sending them a personal message.  But, whilst you are on the forum, can you explain how the system of royalties for E.A.Bowles will work as there was some debate and confusion on the Events thread.
Almost in Scotland.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
Just so you know - I have been contacted separately and have replied.

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:31 AM »
John, I'm really jealous. Being able to see these fabulous beauties in the flesh is the next best thing to having one in the garden. One day? ;D The trouble is, your hitlist is down to one or two elusive 'drops and, like buses, three more come along at once. ::)
I meant to say, thanks for posting the fantastic pics, not only of E. A. Bowles (I want that one), but the various stands in the other thread.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:59:53 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
I'm with you there Anthony. Being distant from the centres of activity can be a frustrating situation. At least we have John and others to post the photographs for us to view. Otherwise we wouldn't see anything of these events.

Partly in frustration and mainly on foot of a kind invitation Mary and I travelled to Northern Ireland on Monday last, a round trip just short of 400 miles, to visit some friends who grow lots of snowdrops. It was a long drive but the gardeners were a delight and the snowdrops were beautiful. A fix to keep us going for another while!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »
Was Galanthus plicatus E.A. Bowles a selection from Myddtleton House and by whom?  A friend asked and I have no idea. A bit of history on this one would be appreciated.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:56:27 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
John, see my quote from the  page  listed below to find  details from press release regarding G. E.A.Bowles.............

Re: Galanthus Events 2009
« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2009, 06:02:52 PM »

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2604.msg75896#msg75896

:)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »
Was Galanthus plicatus E.A. Bowles a selection from Myddtleton House and by whom?  A friend asked and I have no idea. A bit of history on this one would be appreciated.

johnw

It was spotted at Myddleton House by Michael Myers, was thought to be a plicatus but now I understand it's believed to be a hybrid. I don't know what parentage is being proposed but I assume plicatus and nivalis double. I'm told Joe Sharman says it's pollen sterile, and the flower I was sent to see if I could harvest pollen from it had very small, deformed anthers which had to be dissected to get even a few grains of pollen (which may or may not be viable, I'll have to wait and see - it didn't look quite normal).
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 02:52:17 PM »
Thanks Maggi and Martin.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal