We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: RHS Plant and Design Show  (Read 2324 times)

robsorchids

RHS Plant and Design Show
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »
am i correct in thinking this show has snowdrops too?

im sure i heard (probably on here!) that there is a spring show in london and i can only assume this is the one (excuse my ignorance)

if they have snowdrops on offer here then i would very much like to go to this one next year, if anyone had visited this show and can tell me more about it i would be greatfull :)

it would seem that the underground tubes are close the halls, so hopefully it wont be to much bother to get there

thanks
rob

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: RHS Plant and Design Show
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »
Well, there is one word in the Show's title that would keep me away or am I just an old dinosaur :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »
Rob, I don't know.... but someone will.......... :-X

David, yes, you are an old dinosaur..... but I wouldn't go either ...... it's the "D" word! 
There should be quality design inherent in anything man-made.......that should not need to be stated..... if there is a need to harp on about it... it's probably duff design, I reckon! :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »
Rob the Galanthus Gala is in Essex next year. No excuses for not being there! ;D
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
design is for all ages!

Yes, it is.... GOOD design that is..... problem for me is just that there is so much dross pedalled nowadays in the name of "Design" by some rather talentless folks... and not just in the world of horticulture!! :-X :P

I guess I'm having a spell of wearing one of my old "hats" as a reviewer and art critic! :-[ Old habits die hard!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »
Rob, why don't you PM John Finch. He works in London and I'm sure if you gave him the name of the London station you would arrive at he would give you advice on how you would get to the Show venue by tube.

The trouble with dinosaurs was they had a design fault ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 09:51:10 PM »
Rob, why don't you PM John Finch. He works in London and I'm sure if you gave him the name of the London station you would arrive at he would give you advice on how you would get to the Show venue by tube.

The trouble with dinosaurs was they had a design fault ::)
Not really David, they perfected it and are called birds. ;D

If you want to see bad design come and look at the first round of PFI schools in Falkirk. >:( The architect (aka pre-school boy with a pencil) had never designed a school before; in fact, by his own admission, he'd never even set foot in one! ::) A few strategically placed sticks of dynamite would soon fix it! :P
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:48:47 PM »
Rob

If you mean the February Show, (Vincent Square) we were there and plenty of drops for sale  - Avon, Jacques Amand, Ashwood, Foxgrove and a few more. Well worth the trip, even from NS.  The show is in two halls but directions are easiest for the RHS Horticultural Halls, Greycoat Street.

When you receive your ticket it will include a street map and the closest tube stop. The Hall is a 5 minute walk.

N.B. Dinosaurs and birds may wish to bear left in the design hall and continue clockwise, thus passing the nursery stands only, avoiding
design displays.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:57:06 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »
Hi Rob

there are snowdrops there - I met JohnW there on Feb 17 2009.  There are some photos and a bit of a write up about it here:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2604.msg75990#msg75990

I managed to have a blinkered view and ignored all the 'design' as I only had eyes for the snowdrops.   8)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »
This is my only picture of the design aspect of the show - a fake house.  ::)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal