We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2009  (Read 62662 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Galanthus March 2009
« Reply #330 on: April 14, 2009, 06:23:47 PM »
Oh!  :o It was not April, 1st? Robin, it's great! May I take place in a queue for a bulb?

Olga,

I will wait 2 more years before distributing G. "Green Mile".
I'm a bit surprised that a modest little Galanthus excites more enthousiasm than more spectacular plants such as Arisaema and Trillium.
Sorry galanthophiles  :)

Robin
Robin, when you produce not one, but a whole clump of as spectacular a snowdrop as 'Green Mile', expect a whole string of 'wow' and 'fantastic' and other words that express awe and delight. Enjoy it and when, and only when, you have enough to spare, then you can 'spread the joy' making sure you still have your spectacular clump as insurance.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

galanthophile

• Webshots album
« Reply #331 on: April 18, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »
Now that is really special - fantastic. I love trilliums and lots of other plants but to me nothing is nicer than a snowdrop.
Gal-Ann-thophile! from Newcastle in North East England

snowdropman

« Reply #332 on: January 14, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »
Lastly from Covertside....Freddie who?

johnw

John - not sure if you got an id on this one, but it is G. 'Chastleton Freddie', one of 25 seedlings selected by Daphne Chappell & John Sales from the neglected garden of Chastleton House (see Transcript of the Ninth Galanthus Gala 2006)
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #333 on: January 14, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »

johnw

John - not sure if you got an id on this one, but it is G. 'Chastleton Freddie', one of 25 seedlings selected by Daphne Chappell & John Sales from the neglected garden of Chastleton House (see Transcript of the Ninth Galanthus Gala 2006)

Thanks Chris, I think you had already identified it.  A splendid garden it was and a delightful owner.

johnw.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #334 on: January 14, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »

johnw

Oh Chris, 25 more seedlings. Is there no end to them?

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

snowdropman

« Reply #335 on: January 14, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »

Oh Chris, 25 more seedlings. Is there no end to them?

Paddy
[/quote]

Afraid not Paddy  ::)  and a large number of these seedlings have been named - I have now identified over 1500 named snowdrops, over and above those that appeared in 'Snowdrops', and I continue to find new ones almost daily!
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
Chris,

Most will slump into obscurity, I'm sure.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

steve owen

« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2010, 03:39:36 PM »

Afraid not Paddy  ::)  and a large number of these seedlings have been named - I have now identified over 1500 named snowdrops, over and above those that appeared in 'Snowdrops', and I continue to find new ones almost daily!
Well, In several years of growing galanthus and, like others, looking at seedlings in my garden and elsewhere, I have found just two that I thought sufficiently distinctive to be worth naming. I get the feeling from SRGC that others are similarly restrained. What on earth is the point of naming 25 new finds from one location? How can such a large number all be so distinctive as to be worthy of naming?

Chris, you put round a note last year about the follow-up to the Snowdrops book that touched on the point of distinctiveness. How and by whom is a judgement being made about naming new and "different" varieties, and is there a danger of the market being swamped by unworthy look-alikes?

Ian Christie's recent pic of the yellow Harrison woronowii - now that's different!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:49:08 PM by Maggi Young »
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

snowdropman

« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2010, 05:19:39 PM »
Chris, you put round a note last year about the follow-up to the Snowdrops book that touched on the point of distinctiveness. How and by whom is a judgement being made about naming new and "different" varieties, and is there a danger of the market being swamped by unworthy look-alikes?

Ian Christie's recent pic of the yellow Harrison woronowii - now that's different!

Steve - anybody can name a snowdrop, and quite clearly very many people have been doing so!

I know from our correspondence about the two seedlings that you have selected that you are taking the responsible route, both in passing them to other experienced growers to grow on & give you their opinion and, just as importantly, allowing the passage of time to make sure that they are stable and that the features that caused you to select them in the first place do consistently repeat. Many others have clearly not gone down this route and have named snowdrops based on the slightest difference and, often it seems, without either waiting to see if the snowdrop repeats the particular feature, or checking to see what similar named snowdrops already exist.

I agree that, to warrant being named, the snowdrop should be distinctive and this, for instance, is one of the key criteria that the Joint Rock Garden Plant Committee use when judging snowdrops that have been put up for awards (FCC, AM & PC).

Martin Baxendale also often reminds us that the snowdrop should have other attributes such as being strong and healthy, high disease resistance etc.

This proliferation of names, many of them given to snowdrops that, on the face of it, appear to be undistinguished and of little merit, is clearly going to prove challenging in putting 'Snowdrops2' together. The logistics are quite daunting, but I am confident that the division system that we use will enable us to bring to the fore those snowdrops that are truly distinct and worthy of being named.

On a related issue, did you receive the email that I sent you on 19th December?

Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »

Martin Baxendale also often reminds us that the snowdrop should have other attributes such as being strong and healthy, high disease resistance etc.

A wise man that Martin Baxendale.  Others should heed this dictum before registration.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal