We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione kaatiae?  (Read 2526 times)

johanneshoeller

Pleione kaatiae?
« on: January 15, 2010, 08:13:42 AM »
Enclosed 2 pics of a very tall and interesting Pleione (7-10cm). I think it is the tall form of Pleione scopulorum and is the so-called Pleione kaatiae. Has anybody a documentation/report of this species? The pic should show the full-skale.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:15:47 AM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Pieter

Re: Pleione kaatiae?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »
Hello

I am new to the forum. Please allowe me to introduce myself. I am Pieter, an other Pleione lover from Belgium. Pleiones are really my absolute favorite orchid. They can be so amazing. Just a "small" bulb grown in what lookes like a pot that you might think is to small to gro anything in and than in springtime it gives a really smashing flower. My all time favourites are Volcanello 'Honey Buzzard" and Mawenzi.

Now to try and give johanneshoeller some help, I added a link to a pdf file with the botanical discription of the Pleiones growing in China. On page three you can find the discription of P. scopulorum and P. kaatiae. It is not illustrated but I find it fairly interesting to read how these plants are in their natural habitat. Hopefully it is of some help.   

http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/china/PDF/PDF25/Pleione.pdf

It is just wonderfull to see there are so much people how are really in to Pleiones. I have been following this forum since last spring and it is absolutely wonderfull to all the pictures of Pleiones in flower. I find it is a good help to make up a wish list. You can see the plants as they are and don't have to start imagining things when you reed a discription in a nursery catalogue. I will try to take some pictures of my Pleiones this spring and post them. I can hardly waith to see them in action again.

Greetings to all

Pieter
Oedelem, Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
Hello, Pieter,
 it is good to have you join the Forum.

We'll be looking forward to seeing your flowers as the season progresses.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:07:30 AM »
Hi, Pieter,
thank you for the link. It makes very interesting reading. I found this picture http://www.ground-orchids.de/a/Pleione%20gallery/pages/Pleione-kaatiae.htm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:12:55 AM by Maren »
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:06:01 AM »
Welkom op dit super forum Pieter !!  I'm sure you will like it here !
Great to hear from another belgian Pleione addict !  Will be looking forward to see your pix !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Pieter

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »
Thank you all  for the warm welcome. As I said before, it is wonderfull to see so many Pleione enthousiast. And I am glad to help out if I can.
Luc can probably confirm that Belgium doens’t has such a large Pleione culture as the UK. It gives you a good feeling knowing there is something to fall back on incase you have a question. I know a thing or two about Pleiones but a certainly don’t know three so I will be posting  some questions myself.   

Greetings
Pieter
Oedelem, Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal