We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Foliage now- October 2009  (Read 17496 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Foliage now- October 2009
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2009, 06:16:38 PM »
Thank you Rudi,
Unfortunately the ' Wilhelma ' is a little bit too far from here to make an autum journey. In the seventies of last century I was employed in a small nursery which
sold Gingkos - but I wasn't told whether they were selected or not. My own tree either is a male one or is too young to bear fruits.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

ruweiss

« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2009, 06:56:22 PM »
Gerd,I am sure,that several arboretums in your region have
female Ginkgos in their collections.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »
The nurseries in NZ only have male forms available.
An interesting and disgusting selection of smells apparently. Presumably if the smell is from the fallen fruit only, it will be from the fleshy coating on the seed as it decays? I think any smell would be worth it if from the incredible avenue in John's last link. But they are probably males too. I'd happily travel a long way to see that sight.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Onion

« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
Uli, I never found a fruiting Ginkgo in my region - is it true that nurseries here are
selling only male plants ? Are you able to tell me a place with a female tree?
Interesting story concerning the grafted female branch!

Gerd
[/quote]

Gerd,

they sell every time only male plants  ;D ;D, because you can not decide if a tree is male or female. I don't know a female tree in your area. But I know big trees in the Flora of Cologne and the Forest botanical garden of Cologne. Someone tell me the story, that in a town at the Niederrhein a avenue of female Ginkgo exist. But I'm not sure if this avenue exist any more.

Uli

Female species are in the botanic garden of Hannover and the Forest botanical garden of Goettingen. Maybe E. Pasche know a species.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:10:22 PM by Onion »
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »
One can tell the males from the females by way of the branching.  Females are much broader branched, while the males tend to an almost fastigiate form.  This is pretty obvious even when young.  Here, in Cologne, we do have a few females as street trees, but they are still to immature to bear fruit.  We'll have to see what happens when.  Germans are not particularly tolerant of bad smells! ;D ;D  But, then, who is? 8)
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
Thank you Uli and Jamie - a very long time ago I saw fruits of a female tree at the island of Mainau/Bodensee. Hope I'll find another one here in the neighborhood one times.

One can tell the males from the females by way of the branching.  Females are much broader branched, while the males tend to an almost fastigiate form. 

... easy to remember - just as with human variety!   ;)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2009, 09:13:07 AM »
I have seen female Ginkgos trees used to great effect in some Italian towns where used as planting in town squares where the branches spread out wide and provided great shade during the heat of the day.
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal