We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Diphylleia  (Read 985 times)

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
Diphylleia
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »
In addition to Pteridophyllum racemosum, my favorite nursery coughed up specimens of Diphylleia cymosa and D. grayi on yesterday's visit.

Any comments on their cultivation? I have my usual suspicion of D. grayi as yet another Japanese woodlander that will take exception to our wet winters and bone dry summers, expressing its distaste either by desiccating to nothingness in the summer or rotting away in the winter.

Hopefully D. cymosa will be less fussy - I have a nice clump of Caulophyllum thalictroides, which is generally similar in its habits.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Re: Diphylleia
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:48:06 PM »
In addition to Pteridophyllum racemosum, my favorite nursery coughed up specimens of Diphylleia cymosa and D. grayi on yesterday's visit.

Any comments on their cultivation? I have my usual suspicion of D. grayi as yet another Japanese woodlander that will take exception to our wet winters and bone dry summers, expressing its distaste either by desiccating to nothingness in the summer or rotting away in the winter.

Hopefully D. cymosa will be less fussy - I have a nice clump of Caulophyllum thalictroides, which is generally similar in its habits.

Roger I have both of these and they "survive" in my woodland conditions which tend to be dry in summer because of the number of trees and because of this have been slow to clump. The Diphylleia loses its berries rather quickly also but it does have unusual foliage at hing I am very partial to. Good luck

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal