We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Beschorneria yuccoides leaf cuttings?  (Read 1317 times)

meanie

Beschorneria yuccoides leaf cuttings?
« on: December 15, 2011, 05:29:41 PM »
Quite simple really  - is it possible to propagate Beschorneria yuccoides by way of leaf cuttings?
I snapped one off and am wondering if this will be a waste of time!

All advice is appreciated!
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Beschorneria yuccoides leaf cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:38:59 PM »
Only one way to find out Meanie. Sometimes thick leaves if broken then inserted in damp sand will make new little plants along the edge, so it might be worth trying. I'd go for a clean cut rather than a break. The thin leaves of Heloniopsis will also propagate this way as well as at the tips. Trying to think of a couple of other things that also will do this way but can't, for the moment. I know there are some.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:40:41 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

meanie

Re: Beschorneria yuccoides leaf cuttings?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:16 PM »
Only one way to find out Meanie. Sometimes thick leaves if broken then inserted in damp sand will make new little plants along the edge, so it might be worth trying. I'd go for a clean cut rather than a break. The thin leaves of Heloniopsis will also propagate this way as well as at the tips. Trying to think of a couple of other things that also will do this way but can't, for the moment. I know there are some.

Took two leaf cuttings from the broken leaf - made with a brand new sterilized blade. Now in propagator with bottom heat.

Below is a photo of one of the Eucomis comosa leaf cuttings that I did a couple of months ago - this one cutting has put up four shoots (three visible).
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal