We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Thlaspi montana?  (Read 1779 times)

maggiepie

Thlaspi montana?
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
I grew this from seed last year, up until a few days ago it was still under snow.
I did have a few other thlaspi seedlings but can't find the tags and have forgotten what they were.
Am hoping someone can ID this for me.

Helen Poirier , Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Thlaspi montana?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 09:59:05 PM »
Can't help with ID Helen, but they're very nice. They look as if they may be scented? Not of cabbage though hopefully. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

maggiepie

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
Lesley, I don't think the montana grows in a mound like this plant. It's not the most attractive plant I've seen.
No idea if it is scented but will give it a sniff when the snow melts. Snowing again here with freezing rain to follow. You beaut!!
NOT!!

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
Helen your picture looks like a larger version of our Thlaspi zaffrani, seed from Gothenburg Botanic.  I'll take a picture and post it soon.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 06:32:31 PM »
Here's an old SRGC posting on Thlaspi zaffrani:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3356.0

If you read the description within it, that is, the response to the ID question, T. zaffrani is described as having entire leaves (i.e. not toothed).  The plant in question (Helen's) seems to have distinctly-toothed leaves.  
The leaves are also described as being "auriculate to perfoliate" for T. zaffrani. On the plant in question, the leaves immediately subtending the flowers may be edging toward perfoliate... but it doesn't seem terribly convincing??
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:50:57 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »
OK here we go.  Remember this is a tiny plant, first season of growth and I am not the best photographer in the world let alone the forum ::).  Bearing in mind the previous post I have tried to show the leaves which I consider might have their "milk teeth". Four shots of Thlaspi zaffrani.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

maggiepie

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:55:27 AM »
Lori, thanks for all the information. I had a sniff at the plant yesterday and it doesn't smell good.
I'm not sure it will stay there long enough to get seeds. I have another plant labelled thlaspi montana which looks somewhat different. The leaves are more narrow and toothed.
Still, that might just be because the plant is smaller.

Shelagh, I would be very happy if my plant looked like your zaffrani. The flowers on my plant don't appear to be getting stems, the flower heads are just sitting amid the leaves.
Maybe mine is some sort of weed.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »
Nice looking plant Shelagh and flowering on your birthday!  Have a great day....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal