We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Polygonatum sp.  (Read 1482 times)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Polygonatum sp.
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »
Today I received this plant from a friend without a name. Since I'm far from an expert in Polygonatums I wondered if anyone here might know which species it is. It's a very fragrant species.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Polygonatum sp.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Nice plant, Wim..... you need Aaron Floden for this ID, but , having read his Polygonatum thread, I'd hazard a guess at P. odoratum... he has various pictures there on pages two and four, I think.... 8)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 12:05:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »
 Looks like an odoratum - especially if its fragrant. There are others that are scented, but P. odoratum, hybridum, lasianthum, and amabile have a very similar scent - like baby powder.

It is unusual to have the flowers open before the stem is more mature. It looks like a very nice clone.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »
Thanks for your replies Maggi and Aaron. It smells like baby-powder indeed.
I'll plant it out and see if it's as quick to flower next year.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »
Thanks for your replies Maggi and Aaron. It smells like baby-powder indeed.
I'll plant it out and see if it's as quick to flower next year.

Wim, a good looking P. odoratum, if that's what it is.  

I recently added a new to my garden, P. odoratum 'Carlisle', discovered in the nursery of local nurseryman Leo Blanchette at his home/nursery in Carlisle, Massachusetts, USA.  He grows a great number of Polygonatum (Aaron, are you in touch with him?) and he considers this among the very best of variegated odoratum cultivars, with extra broad and bold color.  It is also rather short growing compared to most odoratums, at about half the normal height.

Interesting about the baby powder scent.  The only other plant I know that has a baby powder scent, is the beautiful ericaceous native Sourwood Tree, or Oxydendron arboreum.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:49:59 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
 Mark, yes I have contacted him. He did not seem too interested, but he does offer a few things I'd like to see - acuminatifolium, manchuricum (what is it?), and some of the variegated "odoratums" from Japan. I got a wide margined form from Roy Herold that is broader than the typical forms.

The scent in Polygonatum is distinctive in a few groups (I have not looked to see if the scent follows taxonomy yet, but it may). The odoratum types from Europe, but not Asia are fragrant of baby powder. Most forms from Asia are not fragrant, but I do have one with a really pleasant flowery jasmine-like fragrance. Like odoratum, some of the lasianthum have fragrance (subsp coreanum syn P. taquetii) and P. amabile (formerly syn with lasianthum). P. hybridum sometimes has the fragrance, but not all clones.

P. hirtum, P. humile - both divergent forms, P. involucratum, P. cryptanthum, P. pubescens, and maybe P. inflatum have strongly cinnamon scented flowers. P. prattii is scented like violets, P. kingianum (= P. huanum) has the lovely ethereal fragrance of some Tiarella clones, and P. sp aff. macropodum has a cookie dough fragrance. Most are unscented though.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:52 PM »
Mark, yes I have contacted him. He did not seem too interested, but he does offer a few things I'd like to see - acuminatifolium, manchuricum (what is it?), and some of the variegated "odoratums" from Japan. I got a wide margined form from Roy Herold that is broader than the typical forms.

The scent in Polygonatum is distinctive in a few groups (I have not looked to see if the scent follows taxonomy yet, but it may). The odoratum types from Europe, but not Asia are fragrant of baby powder. Most forms from Asia are not fragrant, but I do have one with a really pleasant flowery jasmine-like fragrance. Like odoratum, some of the lasianthum have fragrance (subsp coreanum syn P. taquetii) and P. amabile (formerly syn with lasianthum). P. hybridum sometimes has the fragrance, but not all clones.

P. hirtum, P. humile - both divergent forms, P. involucratum, P. cryptanthum, P. pubescens, and maybe P. inflatum have strongly cinnamon scented flowers. P. prattii is scented like violets, P. kingianum (= P. huanum) has the lovely ethereal fragrance of some Tiarella clones, and P. sp aff. macropodum has a cookie dough fragrance. Most are unscented though.

Aaron

Aaron, that's quite the full pantry of aromas going on in that genus!  You sound like me, the first thing I do with any plant is to sniff the flowers, it is such an enjoyable often overlooked dimension to plants.  The scent on Trillium is also interesting, for eaxample, the decumbens flowers of some forms smell like pepper.

I do have acuminatifolium, added it last year and it is currently budded, PM me about it :D
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal