We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in Cyclamen Society Journal  (Read 2285 times)

Gordon Cottis

Galanthus in Cyclamen Society Journal
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »
Galanthophiles might be interested in the picture and description on p.17 0f the latest CS Journal showing a plant described as G. peshmenii photographed in the first week of November 2008. The location is stated as being to the north of Anamur in the Goksu valley- about 200km to the NE of known locations for peshmenii. The picture shows a plant with supervolute vernation and leaves fully developed at flowering time and would seem to be an early flowering form of G. elwesii monostichus. Forumists with greater computer skills than I may be able to to reproduce the picture for others to see.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus in Cyclamen Society Journal
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:33:54 AM »
Gordon you could take a digital photos and post it
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »
Do you have a site link from the latest CS Journal

Roland
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:11:33 PM by Maggi Young »
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Gordon Cottis

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 04:51:34 PM »
Mark I have attempted to scan the photo and post it with this reply. I will be both surprised and delighted if this is successful.

Roma

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:42:32 PM »
Gordon,
it would be polite to ask the photographer, Chris Clennet, before copying and posting the photograph from the Cyclamen Society Journal.  I'm sure if you contacted him he could give you more information.  His address is on the inside cover of the journal. (he is the editor)
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »
Just received my copy of the journal, and (though it's hard to be 100% sure from the photo) it does look like it may be an autumn-flowering single-marked elwesii rather than peshmenii - the leaves are very broad and elwesii-shaped with what appears to be typical "hooding" of the leaf tips. I can't actually see if the leaf bases are convolute, but they look like they may be.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:39:34 AM by Martin Baxendale »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:38:38 AM »
I don't have the time right now to seek permission from the cyclamen society to scan and post the pic from the journal, but in the interests of correct identification of the plant, I wouldn't think they'd object to it being shown to forumists. Of course I'll remove it if people feel strongly otherwise.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gordon Cottis

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »
Thank you for your help Martin and Roma for the advice. I will be in touch with Chris Clennett to inform him of the posts.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
In the last couple of days I have met both Chris Clennet and Martyn Denny who were on the Cyclamen Society field trip to study Cyclamen cilicium. I asked if they could forward to me other images of Galanthus taken at the site referred to in the Journal and they have kindly agreed for them to be posted on the Forum. Gordon, Chris mentioned that you had also contacted him so this post is by way of his reply.
 The weather conditions at the time, 5th November 2009, were described as diabolical with low light after torrentail rain hence the quality of the photos. The plants were growing at an altitude of 517m in 50-75%shade in a NNW aspect on a 60degree slope. Growing in gravely brown loam on steep wooded hillsides among masssive limestone boulders.
I think its pretty clear in most of the images that the plants are Galanthus elwesii.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »
Melvyn, thanks for this.
 Many thanks also to Chris Clennet and Martyn Denny for their help and cooperation.
 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
this specimen has only one apical mark - so it could be named Galanthus elwesii Hooker fil. var. monostictus P.D. Sell.
Besides, in the Zonneveld B. J. M. The systematic value of nuclear DNA content in Galanthus / B. J. M. Zonneveld, J. M. Grimshaw, A. P. Davis // Plant Syst. Evol. – 2003. – Vol. 241. – P. 96 it is noted:
"...The average DNA content of G. elwesii var. elwesii is 55.3 pg, compared with 59.1 for G. elwesii var. monostictus, strengthening the assumption that these taxa are distinct and worthy of recognition..."

Moreover, Chris Brickell in the Brickell C. Some Caucasian and Turkish snowdrops in the wild / Daffodils, snowdrops and tulips : Yearbook 2005-2006 // M. S. Bradbury, J. L. Akers, J. W. Blanchard [et al.] (eds.). – Cambridge-London : Cambridge University Press in ass. with Royal Horticultural Society, 2005. – P. 47-57, notes he found a uniform population of G. elwesii var. monostictus where all the clones had only one apical mark (Antalya, Turkey).
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal