We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Colchicum szovitsii  (Read 4129 times)

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
Re: Colchicum szovitsii
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »
Hjalmar you are a genius. I must get my eyes tested! 8)
Many thanks,
JohnnyD
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
Maybe you already figured it out from the answers above, but if you spell it szovitsii you will get more hits on Google.

Can be spelled as szowitsii, too - such is sometimes used and used on my picture captions (must to correct), too.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »
It doesn't affect slaters (woodlice) either. They chomp off my leaves to trough surface level every year. I was told no, not slaters as they only feed on decaying material. Not true. I have seen them late at night clustered round C. szovitsii chewing like mad.

Lesley,

Until this year I would have said the same as the naysayers, but this year with our extra moisture (and I think softer growth) there has been a lot of slater damage, in fact I have had a couple of Verbena killed by them.  I put out one of the snail baits that get slaters as well, and there wasn't a dead snail to be seen, but lots of slaters.  We've almost had a plague of them this spring, and a lot of people coming into work asking about them as they've seen damage as well.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
Generally speaking I use as little chemical spray as possible but have resorted to a product recommended to me, called (here anyway) Ripcord. It is a spray for application to buildings to stop spider infestation with their webs and filthy droppings. Spiders really are dirty creatures. Anyway, I use it in my plant trays and on benches, around pots, against slaters and it works totally. Slaters don't come into the trays at all where before they were clustering in thousands in every corner. It can also be squirted onto plants with no ill effect to the plants, against slaters and aphis. I found that be accident, having sprayed a bench where I was setting out seed pots and next morning found dead aphis from the adjacent auriculas.

Recently following a lot of rain, slaters have been coming up the house walls and coming in through the bathroom window. Some mornings there have been a dozen in the basin! Not nice. So I've squirted the outside walls and the windowsills as well. Slaters still coming in but they die when they get there so we now have dead slaters in the bathroom instead of live ones.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal