We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed Pods  (Read 1798 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Seed Pods
« on: May 30, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »
Having has a stroll around the garden,after arriving home,this year I seem to have more seed pods than I have ever noticed before,so need some advice

1 Do I plant them and see what I get?

2 Will they come true?( I dont think so ,)

All ideas and thought most welcome
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Seed Pods
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
Hi Chas

I have heard some say that you can just bury the pod and let the seeds germinate that way.  I have never grown them myself and give all mine away to people with more space.

The vast majority of the named hybrids/varieties will not come true from seed - but species could well do.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:32:58 AM »
Hello Chas,
A rather late response to your question about Galanthus seed. I grow a lot of galanthus from seed each year for the following reasons :-
It is a good way of increasing species quickly (if you regard three years from sowing to flowering as quick enough!)
Sowing seed from my selected forms of my G.reginae-olgae gives the hope that something better will be produced.
Sowing seed from plant in the garden just as a way of increasing numbers and again has the propect of producing something different.

John has already answered about species breeding true but that selected forms/hybrids will not, although  I think its always worth sowing seed from plants with yellow ovaries just to see what you will get.

I would advise against just burying the seedpod, as you will see in the first picture of Galanthus gracilis seed pods there can be a lot of seeds in each, in the case of the one top right over eighty seeds so sowing them in the usual way on the surface of compost then covered in grit will produce a more satisfactory outcome.

There can be a lot of variability in the appearance of seed, in the second photo the seeds on the left are G. gracilis, in the centre seed from my G. reginae-olgae and on the right autumn flowering G. transcaucasicus.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:51:40 AM by Melvyn Jope »

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:35:24 AM »
Thanks for your replies
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal