We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Red Berries  (Read 1354 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Red Berries
« on: September 10, 2010, 01:36:16 PM »
I was out to visit Bothal Church yesterday with a group of people, and we came across these berries in the churchyard.  No foliage at all, just the stems and the red berries.  So I reckon they are either from a bulb or a parasitic plant of some kind.  Does anyone have any idea what they are?
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Red Berries
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »

A nice colony of Arum maculatum fruits,known as  'Lords and ladies' , Christine.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »
And VERY poisonous, just in case anyone was thinking of making jam with them  :)
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

ChrisB

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
Thanks folks.  I'll pass the info along.  They looked quite amazing.  Lovely churchyard, a huge Sequoia growing beside the building.  Must have been planted a looooooooooong time ago.  I could hardly see the top.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
All the arums familiar to me have seed heads of much the same appearance. Not only Arum maculatum, but A. nigrum, A. dioscoridis, and A. creticum.

A flower arranging-minded friend oohed and aahed over those of A. dioscoridis and was heart broken when I explained that the seed heads don't last. When all the berries have ripened, the seed head starts to disintegrate. Not suitable for a flower arrangement, unless it's a very short-lived one.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
All the arums familiar to me have seed heads of much the same appearance. Not only Arum maculatum, but A. nigrum, A. dioscoridis, and A. creticum.

A flower arranging-minded friend oohed and aahed over those of A. dioscoridis and was heart broken when I explained that the seed heads don't last. When all the berries have ripened, the seed head starts to disintegrate. Not suitable for a flower arrangement, unless it's a very short-lived one.

The fruiting heads of Arisaemas, though,  last intact for a long time... long enough to please a flower arranger, methinks..... And since they can be very large and extremely striking, I'd think they were a flower arrangers dream!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
Hadn't thought about them for flower arranging, but the stems looked very stout, and the berries were incredible.  They do have the look of danger about them though1
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal