We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Autumn show - Kent  (Read 3550 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: AGS Autumn show - Kent
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
Thanks to John for posting these pictures.  I'm assuming the Farrer medal cyclamen was Ian Robertson's, as seen last week at the Cyclamen Society show?

(Reply #4 of this post http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6036.0)
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 05:28:06 AM »
Why does Gypsophila aretioides not flower - or not much - in the UK? It does here, and quite well. Having said that, I have to admit to losing mine a few years ago but at its best it had about 200 flowers on a bun about 20cms across.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
Friends, more photos from the show  8) from Jon Evans  in the AGS pages:

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/discussion/atshows/Autumn+South+Show+/435/

I see the Crocus vallicola that Alan N. took down for Alan Furness won a certificate of merit.... and there is an unusual gesneriad from Alan Newton himself....  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:02:50 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »
John lovely pictures with some beautiful plants.

I wonder whose was the three pan of cyclamen because the Cyclamen intaminatum looks very different to any I have seen before and I am interested in its origin.I would have expected it to be smaller and more delicate in all aspects than the C. mirable next to it.

The bessera is a lovely plant but I am a little perplexed by the judges comments reported on the AGS site as last year it was being sold dried in packets as a late summer bulb at the garden centre and has no special cultural needs.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 04:22:50 PM »

The bessera is a lovely plant but I am a little perplexed by the judges comments reported on the AGS site as last year it was being sold dried in packets as a late summer bulb at the garden centre and has no special cultural needs.

I think you may have a point there,  Tony.... here are various commments from the Forum in September 2008 on growing these lovely flowers......

"Bessera elegans, just a few years ago so hard to find and now at most gardens centres, opened a few days ago.  Easy to grow but difficult to store dry as the bulbs are so small and they will tolerate no winter moisture, at least here.  It would be of interest to know how others store them and how early they plant them.
They are a magnet for slugs, one night alone I picked 14 slugs (not the huge banana slugs but the nasty small flesh-coloured ones) off the badly damaged leaves, resolved by placing the pot up on a trough. "     (Canada)

"..... they are as easy as possible.Put them in a pot in the spring ,water and wait for then to flower! They also multiply with lots of offsets.  "  (England)

" .....They were planted in  the field in April/May...." (Holland)

this last comment accompanied this photo of Bessera elegans flowering happily in a  Dutch bulb field.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal