We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: VRV (Flemish rock garden society) lecture day at GENT on November 6th  (Read 4686 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: VRV (Flemish rock garden society) lecture day at GENT on November 6th
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »
It was a pleasure to meet old friends and make new ones.

It was a daunting prospect being the first international speaker, but I was made to feel most welcome and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

My thanks to everyone involved in the planning of the event and my special thanks to Luc Gilgemyn, Luc Scheldeman and their wives who looked after Dan & I on the Sunday.

When I get approval to post on the VRV, I will post some of the images so that those who could not attend will have a chance to see some special plants.

The pleasure was definitely ours Arthur !  The lectures were exquisite and to have you and Dan in our midst for a couple of days was even better. We are so glad to learn that both of you  seem to have had a good time.  We're surely avid to see some more pix on the Forum !!  :D :D ;)

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 08:45:19 PM »
Was registered Forumist and my dear friend, Charlotte J not there, Luc?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
Frankie, Luc,

maybe we should try to attract a bit more female members, but how do you start with that.... Or VRV forum seems to have a 12:1 ratio regarding men:women

Lesley, any suggestions? (I would ask if girls want other toys then boys but I'm afraid of what your answer to that question might be  ;))
Is the New Zealand Alpine Society more balanced in ratio?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »
It was a pleasure to meet old friends and make new ones.

It was a daunting prospect being the first international speaker, but I was made to feel most welcome and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

My thanks to everyone involved in the planning of the event and my special thanks to Luc Gilgemyn, Luc Scheldeman and their wives who looked after Dan & I on the Sunday.

When I get approval to post on the VRV, I will post some of the images so that those who could not attend will have a chance to see some special plants.

Arthur,

like Luc said,
it was a pleasure to listen to your account about your travels in Turkey And Iran. And your exquisite pictures were a real treat.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »

Maggi,

Charlotte is from Wallonia and I have no idea if she's a member of the VRV. Actually I have no idea if the VRV has a lot of members from across the language barrier, which is a shame , maybe we should try to attract some members from Wallonia too.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 09:04:49 PM »

Actually, Charlotte was there Maggi, but somehow she was not around when the pictures were taken...  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »

Oh yes Maggi ,Charlotte was there but could not stay for the whole day.Luit's picture is taken in the late afternoon.
She is a regular visitor and also a very fine lady !
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
Aha! I didn't think Charlotte would miss such an event!  We were sorry that she was not at this year's Discussion Weekend.  Next time you see her please give her the best wishes of Ian and myself.

Jozef Lemmens

• Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
Oeps, sorry Maggi, it seems like I am not a forumist anymore.   :-[

BTW, I discussed with Charlotte about attending the discussion weekend and it was only depending of saying yes. But attending the Scottish and Czech meeting in the same month was too much. Sorry, maybe next year.
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
Jef, good to see you around here again!  I saw you were missing from the Forumists' photo ;D

I was just looking the other day at some of your interesting posts way back in the days of the "old" archived forum. You're welcome here any time, you know!  8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:24:14 PM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 11:28:27 PM »
I don't know why it is but in New Zealand (and Australia?)  the balance of members is strongly the other way. In NZAGS itself, and in Otago Alpine Garden Group (Dunedin) and I think all the other similar groups there are many more women than men. Indeed, I have given many alpine talks to local and not so local gardening clubs, with EVERY seat occupied by a woman, or perhaps just one or maybe two men present. Having said that, the men who DO participate do at least their fair share, maybe more, of organizing and office bearing, and being responsible for the smooth running.

As for girls and their toys Wim, what most of us would REALLY like, is a toy boy! preferably rich. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 09:16:53 AM »

As for girls and their toys Wim, what most of us would REALLY like, is a toy boy! preferably rich. ;D

.... with one foot on the ground and the other on a bar of soap?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 11:26:15 AM »
I don't know why it is but in New Zealand (and Australia?)  the balance of members is strongly the other way. In NZAGS itself, and in Otago Alpine Garden Group (Dunedin) and I think all the other similar groups there are many more women than men. Indeed, I have given many alpine talks to local and not so local gardening clubs, with EVERY seat occupied by a woman, or perhaps just one or maybe two men present. Having said that, the men who DO participate do at least their fair share, maybe more, of organizing and office bearing, and being responsible for the smooth running.

Hmmm,

if I have it correct the VVPV (Flemish Hardy Plant Society) has more women then men as members... so maybe the flemish women are just afraid of rocks  ;D  ???

So we need a rich toy boy mascotte for the VRV to attract more women...noted... ;D
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »

;D  ;D
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »

Perhaps not sufficiently subtle David, but there are some great walks nearby, along cliff tops. I'd just have to remember to walk on the landward side. ;D Actually, if one foot were on the ground and the other doing work on a decent spade, I'd be happier. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal