We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2011 in the Northern hemisphere  (Read 12322 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: October 2011 in the Northern hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »
Great display, Freddy.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Panu

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Not that hardy, at least here :I

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »
Thanks for identification freddy.  I had been cleaning magnolia seed all day yesterday (and today) so my radar was working.  One of the batches I just cleaned and washed was tripetala x hypoleuca (formerly obovata), it's a spectacular big-leafer too with slightly broader leaves and adds a real tropical touch to a garden.  The sound of rain on the leaves is wonderful.

No snow here but rain at times very heavy since midnight, now the wind is picking up and will hit 100km/hr.  Sorry to hear of all the tree damage to our south. We had a similar event to that just experienced by the east, back in the late 70's - 8-10" of heavy wet stuff - and the damage was phenomenol.   I understand southwestern, central and northern New Brunswick got snow and 10,000 are without power.  Helen should be okay we hope.

johnw

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:28:57 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
We can't quite approach those fantastic colours shown by freddy but they have turned out to be good this year, most arriving just in the last few days, although the virginia creeper in the birch tree in the first photo has been looking good for a couple of weeks.
I am always struck by how good some herbaceous colours can be - amsonias are brilliant, as are many hostas. I wonder how many gardeners really plant for autumn colours?
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Natalia

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
Last autumn crocuses ...
On Saturday, the temperature is projected to -3-5 оC.
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

ruweiss

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »

My plants of Clematis ranunculoides are now in their second year from seed and made shots up to 1.7 m.
Many buds have formed, but I fear, that the coming harder frost will kill them.
Has any other forumist some experience with this nice plant?
Due to the extraordinary warm weather we experienced during the last weeks the buds of Clematis
ranunculoides continued to open, as the pictures of today show:
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
So pretty, Rudi ..... a good colour to have in flower this time of year.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2011, 10:03:39 PM »
That is a beautiful plant Rudi and if it's a little tender is well worth giving some protection. I hope it continues to flower well for your enjoyment.

The seeds of Clematis napaulensis which I mentioned earlier are now harvested and a little dried so they won't go mouldy in their packets. Those who contacted me about them should have their packets sent within the next week. Which reminds me of a couple of others I've to send as well. A tiny bit of leftover Asteranthera ovata has germinated, the pot stood in water and so too was a pot with 20 seed of Crocus pelistericus. 18 are up and growing well. :D I've taken them out of the water but am watering them each day.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal