We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: availability of long toms in u.s.  (Read 1424 times)

michele sadauskas

availability of long toms in u.s.
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:28:31 AM »
Hello,

Would anyone know where to purchase some terracotta long toms in the U.S?  Google hasn't helped much and just looking for some that i could order out.

thanks
michele

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
Re: availability of long toms in u.s.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:54:11 PM »
We get German-made terra cotta long toms here, in a range of sizes. Here are the sizes I have on hand, the measurements given in order top inner diameter, bottom outer diameter, and height, all in mm:

i.d.
bottom
o.d.
height
I do not know if these are distributed in the US, but I think there's a good chance you can find them if you look around. They're not perhaps as longish as the long toms of yore, but I've never seen anything closer.

In addition, one occasionally chances across plastic rose pots, 153×138×228mm. These are simply taller versions of the standard round "1 gallon" pots a lot of nursery stock is sold in. They are just chance finds, used, and I question whether they are even made any more.

HTH
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

longtoms

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:44:18 AM »
Hi - sorry I cannot help with U.S suppliers but please check out my website www.long-toms.co.uk.

Hope you like it and it is helpful - it is still partially under construction so please email me if you would like any futher help.

Many thanks

Richard

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »
For North America ITML make a long tom called a grape pot 4" in diameter and 7" deep.  Unfortunately they only come in white.  Might be useful for Rhodophiala and others requiring depth.

johnw - +15c and sunny
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gerry Webster

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
Have a look at this site in the USA:

http://www.borderconcepts.com/products/browse/pottery/terracotta-pottery

These Italian terracotta pots are available in the UK. I have used them & found them reasonably, though not completely, frostproof.  They are better plunged.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal