We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Salvia unknown  (Read 1912 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Salvia unknown
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
Howdy All,

Can anyone help with the name for this one.  It was received as Salvia chamaedryoides, but it isn't that species as that one has silver leaves and deep blue flowers?  The flowers on this are quite large, perhaps 2.5cm or so, and the whole flower stem in the pic (the leaves are to the top left) is maybe 90cm in full length to the tip.

Any ideas on the name?  The flowers are two tone in pale blue, and I just love it.  I'd like a name for my records though.  8)

Thanks.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Onion

Re: Salvia unknown
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
A very nice one Paul. But I'm on the beginning of my salvia collection.

The problem with the pictures in the internet arr the colours of the flowers. Often not true in colour.

Maybe your salvia is S. lavandulifolia or S. uliginosa
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:41:21 PM »
Uli,

Definitely neither of those.  It doesn't spread like ulignosa, and the flowers are paler blue and very differently arranged rather than more or less at the tops of the stem, and the lavendulifolia has silver leaves, which my one doesn't.  i googled both when you supplied the names, which is a great way to do it once I know what to check.  ;D

Thanks heaps. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 PM »
No it certainly isn't S. ulignosa which is gloriously blue, rampant and growing to 2 metres in a wet spot. My mother had it and I did too until even it was overgrown by some other big perennials. Would like it again.

I quite like the sort of glistening surface of yours Paul. If you can get S. chamaedryoides in the cultivar 'Blue Ribbon' it is more compact and floriferous than the type. Stunning colour.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »
Lesley,

I do grow S. chamaedryoides, but not the form 'Blue Ribbon'.  I quite the species, which flowers quite well, and I love the silver leaves and slightly wandering habit.  The flowers are also small and such a lovely deep blue.  All in all nothing like this unknown blue of mine.  I must say that I just love my unknown though, as it is such a lovely pale colour and flowers prolifically for many, many months each year.  No signs of any stolons or any of that sort of multiplication..... I really must propagate some from cuttings one of these days.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Onion

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 07:19:50 PM »
Hi Paul,

Don't know if this photo of mine is of any use, as it doesn't show the foliage which is grey-green in colour.  A ground hugging species.  It comes through the worst winters for me too...  If you want seed from it I'll try to gather some this autumn.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »
I received this from a friend on FB who is a member of the Salvia group on FB (the first part of the name was correct!):

"I suspect this is the lovely Salvia chamalaeagnea from South Africa". Cheers .. Robin Middleton
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:10:45 PM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:40:26 PM »
Stephen (and Rob),

Thanks heaps.  That does look like it, doesn't it.  And given the similarity of name I can see why things got mixed up in the naming department as well.  8)

Excellent!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Onion

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:07:51 PM »
Not a short one, but a lot of plants to see  ;D

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »
I think my Hot Lips has been killed. Is there a possibility it can come up from underground?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
I think my Hot Lips has been killed. Is there a possibility it can come up from underground?
I thought mine was dead last year but it came back and gave a great show, don't give up!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
mine comes back from underground runners Mark
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
Mark, I'm almost sure your 'Hot Lips' will return.  I cut all my salvias to the ground in late April and they never fail to come back for me.  Does depend how cold you are, but I suspect you are not quite as cold as we've been this last winter and I fully expect to see all my salvias.  That being said, I am on very free draining soil, their preferred site...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal