We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: In habitat site...Dactylorhiza Incarnata  (Read 1075 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
In habitat site...Dactylorhiza Incarnata
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:36:17 AM »
A few pics of the straight Dactlorhiza Incarnata(which is a very rare plant in these parts) and the others are of a dark purple form and of hybrids.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Panu

Re: In habitat site...Dactylorhiza Incarnata
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
Nice, but which ssp. ? The racemes seems dense and the leaves are broad and uniformly green, not like the ssp. incarnata or ssp. cruenta here.

daveyp1970

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
Panu i will take more pics so you can have a look,i am no expert just love to see them.If you could i.d the ssp i would be very gratefull,i think the problem is there is fuschii and Dactylorhiza purpurella flowering making an id hard.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

SteveC2

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Identifying these from photos is a nightmare but it's not that much easier in the field given the number of hybirds about.  For instance I found five of these yesterday, surrounded by southerns, hybrids and enough fuchsii to sink a battleship.  A man whose opinion I respect says ssp coccinea.  A man whose opinion I also respect says not.  Frankly I don't know what to think.

daveyp1970

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »
Steve that looks like ssp coccinea but i am just a novice,Dactylorhiza's are a nightmare,me and FredG have scratched our heads loads of times looking at them in the field.I think the problem were i live, is that a lot of the nature reserves are ex colliery sites so the imported top soil comes from everywhere and anywhere so all of a sudden more than one sp pops up ,then hybridisation follows and head scratching begins.I hope this makes sense and might be wrong but its how i see it.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »
Nice site Dave.
I look forward to that trip next year.

I'm beginning to like the two terms Dactylorhiza sp. and Dactylorhiza hybrid.
They do save a lot of head scratching  ;D
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal