We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb bed  (Read 920 times)

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
Bulb bed
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »
Last week I managed to plant the bulbs I bought this autumn in various garden centers, and because my garden seems to be the happy heaven of moles and other mice species I decided to plant them in a bed with a chicken-wire and cardboard base. I really do hope this will deter the hungry underground dwellers (they managed to eat the entire potato crop).

With help from my friends (:D:D:D) I planted some Crocus cultivars, Allium aflatunense, Galanthus elwesii, Leucojum aestivum, Tritelleia, Ixiolirion tataricum and pallasii, hyacinths, Iris histrios (thanks tonyg) reticulata and danfordiae and 10 cultivars of Iris pumila.

If all goes well spring pictures will follow.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Bulb bed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
I think your biggest battle will be those mice .... don't over-feed the cat!  Seriously though, if you are in a country place, with many mice in and outside your garden, this will be an interesting experiment.  Looking forward to the results.

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »
whenever I dig a new bed I feel like going through the catacombs of Rome. tunnels absolutelly everywhere.
I guess I'll be a top client for chicken-wire producers
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

PeterT

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
I find thatclearing the surrounding ground of all cover always helps. It reduces the populations of rodents and lets predators in.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal