We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 6347 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: April 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
Aussies and NZers manage to have a pretty good time whatever and wherever the circumstances. Except Kim Roberts - hello Kim - won't be happy the Highlanders beat the Crusaders last night.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:39:34 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »
Anita, Zephyranthes candida is a native here (Argentina) and grows in full sun in marshy ground with a few inches of water in autumn and winter. Foliage is evergreen, and make good edges to the borders. In any case, it is not one of the Zephyranthes from rocky, drained places.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

anita

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 01:56:51 AM »
Thanks Alberto. I hadn't really thought through the cultural requirements when placing the few spare bulbs.. the others are growing as edges to watered borders. These few bulbs are growing in steps adjacent to tripods hosting towers of Trachelospermum jasminoides which need additional water to get through our summers. So I'll see if I can keep the few bulbs alive by giving them extra drinks through summer, when I water the climbers. If not.. I've only lost a few a few spare bulbs.. if they go I might stuff a few crocus bulbs adapted to drier climates but which can take summer water in the same spot as I like the effect of the delicate flowers against the rocks. Anita
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Ezeiza

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 02:09:08 AM »
What I wrote sounds confusing: "with a few inches of water in autumn and winter" means they are in flooded ground with a few inches of water above soil level. Their feet in permanent water, that is.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 11:46:40 PM »
Hi Ezeiza,

what you say about Zephyranthes candida is most interesting. I obtained 100 bulbs (I only wanted 10 but that was the minimum quantity), and I planted them, 25 each, into pots of 20cm diameter. The growths are just emerging and are now about 7cm long. If they need to have their feet in water, I could stand them with my Epipactis palustris and Spiranthes cernua, both bog orchids.

Do the Zephyranthes require acid conditions? I don't always have rainwater and our mains water is very chalky, but I could correct that if I have to.

Finally, do you think they are hardy? Thanks for your advice.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Ezeiza

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 12:49:08 AM »
Maren, their feet are in water of the Rio de la Plata marshes and this water is mostly alkaline. They grow it as a border plant in gardens but it really likes the extra water. Oddly enough, we have found it growing and flowering in the deepest shade of trees at times.

I have heard many times that it is hardy in Britain. Here it certainly is indifferent to our slight frosts. In the wild it is grown naturally in zones 9 b-10.

It can be left unwatered in summer with no problems.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46:22 AM »
Ezeiza, from what you say I understand that they have a rest period in the summer, probably after flowering and leaves have died down? that means to me that they need their feet in water only during autumn, winter and spring?

Ezeiza

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
The period wihtout rains is one month in later summer just previous to flowering. Of course the marshy ground loses most of the water in summer and the soil can get dry but the plants are evergreen (here). A new flush of leaves follows the flowering. What you see is a dense plant that becomes denser after flowering. It is a neat plant comparable to Ophiopogon japonicus. Leaf color is a dark green even in full sun.

In gardens it is evergreen and any loss of leaves is barely noticed. Of course in England it will do with a lot less extra water than what it uses in this mild climate.

Here, plants that are through a long summer period without water produce few flowers.

After the rest period in summer in which it has less leaves (or not depending to available water) it flowers and produces new leaves. It flowers at the beginning of its yearly cycle and is most active during autumn, winter and spring.

Please note that in extremely cold spots it may revert to a warm cycle but the normal cycle is as described: hot dry summer when it is inactive and the rest of the year when it is in full growth.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »
Thank you, that is most helpful. I have copied your posts into my little book on Cultivation. :) :) :).

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 03:30:30 PM »
Hi Folks, just posted some nice pictures and email in the up to date May 2011 Southern Hemisphere forum, Enjoy.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 10:23:06 PM »
Just a short update on Zephyranthes candida. Following Ezeiza's advice, I now have four 20cm pots of very promising foliage, 20cm high, dark green and strong. They have been standing in trays of rainwater and look very happy. I expect them to flower in the autumn.

I also took one pot to my allotment, where I take anything I don't have room for. Sadly, all the growth has been eaten right down to the grit mulch. It could have been rabbits, pheasants, grouse, partridge or any of the other wildlife that frequents our vegetable gardens. Never mind, now I know not to put Zephyranthes there again. And the ones at home are smiling as if to say: "Told you so.".

Ezeiza

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 11:59:28 PM »
Sounds like good news, Maren. You can add the tiniest pinch of potassium sulphate to that standing water every fortnight to fatten the bulbs (it is a salt that can BURN).

If you want to be certain of a great display stop watering for a month just prior to the normal flowering time in your area at the same time keeping the pots in a hot sunny spot. When you resume watering the surprise will be multiple. This is why they call them Rainlilies.

Ray

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 01:56:56 AM »
Hi Alberto,does this apply to all Zephyranthes or only candida.thanks bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Ezeiza

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
No, Ray. A big problem is that a lot of Zephyranthes come from many regions of the American continent. Desert, marsh, arid, year round rainfall, etc. But, there is information for a good number of them.

Ray

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
Hi Alberto,thanks for the info.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal