We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sicily  (Read 2949 times)

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Sicily
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:38:56 PM »
I'm planning a trip to Sicily next year and am beginning my research. I have a wonderful book "Pianti e fiori dell'Etna" but am wondering if other authorities/field guides exist (besides the italian flora). I'm also interested in suggestions for places to visit. The season hasn't been chosen yet so I realize that ideas may have to be tempered by when I take the trip. I'm also interested in nurseries and garden centers as I realize there are at least a few that export lots of material to the mainland.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Carlo

• BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Sicily
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 02:38:23 AM »
Actually, I'd even be interested in suggestions about when to visit...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:14:24 PM »
If this is your first visit Carlo you will love it, it's a very different and beautiful (the Sicilians will love me for calling it a.......) country.

I can't help you at all with nurseries or garden centres, but I did find a reference on the Net that might provide some sources, and I see there is at least one New York based name included

http://www.bspp.org.uk/bsppnews/bsppnews38/bsppnews38-12.htm

Were your ancestors from Sicily?

You have to see Palermo-it's beautiful, it's horrendous, it's pretty, it's plain, it's crowded, it's lonely. You also have to see Catania, Taormina-if you go to Taormina you must see Castell Mola it's walkable (you must see the bar with all the-how can I put it??-male appendages :o  Steer clear of Giordino Naxos. You must go up Etna. You must go to Agrigento. You must go to Syracuse. You must go to Enna right in the middle of the Island. You must....... oh, cover every inch it's the most exciting place I have ever been to.

I think, if I were going to Sicily plant hunting I would go February/March
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:24:38 AM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »
A national news report this evening suggested that Etna had erupted for the first time in six or seven years....they DID insist that it wasn't dangerous though!!!   :)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 10:24:41 PM »
Were your ancestors from Sicily?

You have to see Palermo-it's beautiful, it's horrendous, it's pretty, it's plain, it's crowded, it's lonely. You also have to see Catania, Taormina-if you go to Taormina you must see Castell Mola it's walkable (you must see the bar with all the-how can I put it??-male appendages :o  Steer clear of Giordino Naxos. You must go up Etna. You must go to Agrigento. You must go to Syracuse. You must go to Enna right in the middle of the Island. You must....... oh, cover every inch it's the most exciting place I have ever been to.

But avoid the men in black, Carlo! :-X

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:25:16 AM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Carlo

• BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:36:38 PM »
You should have seen  the video they showed here of Etna's activity...

(can't wait!)
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Carlo

• BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 10:39:12 PM »
My ancestors are from Sicily and their are relatives (distant) still there...

I'll be trying to connect ahead of time but am not sure what will happen there.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal