We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eucomis 2011  (Read 8592 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Eucomis 2011
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
Thanks for the links Luit. I've just had a very quick look at the first and didn't see the name of Terry Hatch, the person in the second and third photos, bald on top but plenty round the sides. Terry is something of a bete noir for me, having done a terrible thing with some Nerines which were of immense value to growers of smaller plants. Enough of that. He is a fine plantsman and has bred many plants including eucomis. I 've not heard of the Hide man.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2011, 03:46:16 PM »
On the recent BBC Gardeners' World programe Carole Klien showed how Eucomis stock could be increased through leaf-cuttings -which produce bulbils if cut, watered and placed in gritted compost. Worth a try?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:41:13 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

ArnoldT

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2011, 04:01:22 PM »
Here's a link to some info on leaf cuttings for Eucomis.

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Eucomis

Arnold
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »
Brian is sometimes "in the  vicinity " of the Forum, perhaps he would care to comment?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »
Nothing complicated about it, if you have ever rooted succulent/cacti cuttings. I chopped up some wind damaged leaves, say 1 - 1/12" sections, marked which way was "up" by shaping the bottom and pushed into gritty compost; probably 1:1:1 sharp sand, perlite, compost/organic. I don't recall if I used any rooting aid. The original photos are dated 11/10/2007 so I guess that is 2 months or so of growth, in my greenhouse in an open seed tray. I potted each rooted leaf in 3" pots and had clumps the next year. Some rotted but then it was only an experiment at the time.
Any similar plant with a good central rib is worth trying, even some snowdrops, according to the RHS book of propagation.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »
A speedy reply, Brian.... many thanks!

Would you think it worth it  to take some leaf cuttings even now, September?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
Why not. what have you got to lose? Just a slightly wonky plant. But then I am down in the tropical south :)
As I lost several potted eucomis last winter, maybe I should do some more.
I bought a crowded pot of a very showy "pink" form, called "Leia" I think, last year and lost it. Certainly the "prettiest" form I have come across.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal