We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: visiting Malta in October, any 'you must go there's'?  (Read 869 times)

Guus

visiting Malta in October, any 'you must go there's'?
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:23:29 PM »
Hello all,
I will be travelling to Malta in October this year. Although it is small, I would like to hear/read recommendations on nature/plantlife watching out there. I would apreciate some interesting information.

Greetings, Guus
Guus; Netherlands

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: visiting Malta in October, any 'you must go there's'?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »
Guus,  this is a website you may find useful : http://www.maltawildplants.com/

and this    http://www.my-malta.com/interesting/MalteseFlora01.html   for flowers later in the year
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »

You may have seen this thread about the Malta Horticultural Society (Ghaqda Maltija Tal-ortikultura) MHS Spring Show.....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6698.0

Held in the Russian Chapel at the San Anton Palace and Gardens - Attard. These are a popular attraction.

How to get there: Visit www.arriva.com.mt to determine which is the best bus route to take to get to San Anton Gardens, depending on where you're leaving from.

Perhaps you might get some more information about gardens etc from my contact from the Spring Show, Mr. Gabriel Ebejer  email him at the-willows@onvol.net       ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
Nature site!? They shoot everything that can fly from the smallest bird to the largest.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »
Guus

The best site for plants is the isle of Comino and Ocober will be perfect for bulbs I've been at that time and saw a great deal. Easily reached by ferry and/or motor launch. Also cliff tops at Gozo.

For wildlife try Il-Buskett woodlands, take bus #81 from Valleta. I think it's the only substantial wood on the island and usually has a fair selection of birds. It is a small area by northern European standards (and popular).

There is also Is-samir wetland reserve near Bugibba but you need to contact Birdife Malta to get access to the hides though you can still see things from the perimeter (contact details at www.birdlifemalta.org). Good for bitterns

Gardens at Palazzo Parisio www.palazzoparisio.com are small but perfectly kept and the palace is a joy to behold. There is also the botanic garden at San Anton Palace, Attard (bus #40 from Valleta)  - not terribly exciting though it has a rococo fountain and some interesting tree specimens as well as usual tropical exotica and worth a short detour.

Balconies and steps are packed with pots and are a god starting point for looking for succulents with many escapees now naturalised - there is often a good cacti or succulent show happening somewhere on the island each week.

Frazer

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal