We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in August.......  (Read 3310 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Galanthus in August.......
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »
Totally solid in their trough during December

I would think that's most likely what did for them.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:11 AM »
Wow Gerd, thats very very early.
Danke, dass Du die Zwischenzeit bis zur Herbstblüte verkürzt.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »
Gerd, I hope that we all see our own Galanthus reginæ-olgæ soon.  Thank you for showing us it won't be too long.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »
The down side is my peshmeniis have died. Could it be they were too dry followed by too wet?

I had the same problem with a large planter of John Gray ,have lost all but two bulbs,and have put it down to the long spell of extreme cold,also lost 3 yes 3 Camellias as well also in large planters,these were sheltered to some extent by the garage wall,only consolation if you can call it that is that we had another that survived
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Sean Fox

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 04:20:03 PM »

[/quote]
I had the same problem with a large planter of John Gray ,have lost all but two bulbs,and have put it down to the long spell of extreme cold,also lost 3 yes 3 Camellias as well also in large planters,these were sheltered to some extent by the garage wall,only consolation if you can call it that is that we had another that survived
[/quote]

We lost two Camellias, also in pots.  I did read somewhere that it was a fungal problem which was very prolific this winter/early spring that was the problem and really affected Camellia plants grown in pots.
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 02:25:08 PM »
Augustus.....

It never sets seed for me, so I think it's probably a virtually sterile triploid, which would explain its vigour despite virus infection.

Hi Martin

I got a bulb called 'G plicatus 'Augustus seedling'' from Graham Gough earlier this year - I've not had it a season yet - but will try and post a pic if it is still alive here in early 2012.

"Large, boldly puckered flowers, the inners are solid green.  This vigorous seedling occurred here at Marchants."

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal