We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2013 in the northern hemisphere  (Read 6842 times)

Garden Prince

Re: November 2013 in the northern hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2013, 07:41:22 AM »
I have tried propagating in pots without success.

They are not difficult to propagate from seed but it takes time.

Davidia seed first needs a 3 to 4  month warm period followed by a cold period of equal duration. Many seeds will start germinating with rising temperatures after this cold period.

So if you sow Davidia seeds outside in the autumn of 2013 you can expect germination in the spring of 2015.

You can 'cheat' by placing the seeds somewhere warm (in a ziplock bag with slightly moist sowing compost) for 3 to 4 months and then place it in the fridge for the same duration of time. After this you can sow the seeds. I have done this but success rate was much lower in comparison with sowing outside.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »
GP - Have to find an isolated fruiting var. vilmoriniana first.

Do you think the warm 3 mos. followed by cold 3 mos. would work with Kalopanax too?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

rgc

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
Quite a lot of frost in the last few days here in Stirling. Today is better. Still some colour in the garden: Gentian 'Alex Duguid' (G.farreri Duguid's Form) taken with an iPhone this afternoon on 26th November.
Bob, Stirling

K-D Keller

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »
Five Novemper pictures from the greenhouse.

White flowers like the first few snowflakes outside.

I sowed Narcissus tazette labeld as Narcissus serotinus. I think it is Narcissus tazette - maybe it is a Hybrid. Nevertheless I like the tiny flowers at the end of the year.

Haemanthus albiflos, Massonia pustulata, Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus
South Germany, 270 m.

meanie

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »
Really do like that Petrocoptis iodioides!

Can't compete with that, but I have a couple of Salvia blooming strongly at the moment;

S.elegans.................

Wendys Wish is a real doer over the course of a season. This was a cutting taken in May, still blooming in late November...................

In the cool greenhouse one of the Clerodendrum ugandense juveniles in bloom......................

Solanum rantonettii taken about a week ago. Wilts after a cold night, but it soon picks up....................
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal