We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rate Your Mail Order Purchases  (Read 7490 times)

meanie

Re: Rate Your Mail Order Purchases
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 10:19:54 AM »
Can anybody recommend somewhere reliable to get Penstemons? I seem to have lost my old favourites over the winter, such as Garnet (Andenken an Friedrich Hahn), Midnight etc.

Cotswold Garden Flowers has been recommended to me, but as they're about 40minutes away I'll be taking a drive down there at easter instead. I would happily put some seeds for P.digitalis "Huskers Red" in the post, although this gem of a plant is pretty readily available nowadays.
It's kind of you to offer, but that is one of the few that came through unscathed.

It always does!
I'll post up on what I see at CGF after I've been there. I'm told that he's an old school plantsman.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
That reminds me that Bob Brown, who hasn't been up this way for yonks, is due to give a Talk at the Friends of the Cruickshank Botanic Garden sometime soon....... will edit post when I've checked the date  ;)

It's on June 9 - The Noel Pritchard Memorial Lecture:
Bob Brown, subject will be 'Geraniums - Restraint and Discrimination'
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:37:04 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

meanie

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »
That reminds me that Bob Brown, who hasn't been up this way for yonks, is due to give a Talk at the Friends of the Cruickshank Botanic Garden sometime soon....... will edit post when I've checked the date  ;)

It's on June 9 - The Noel Pritchard Memorial Lecture:
Bob Brown, subject will be 'Geraniums - Restraint and Discrimination'

It would appear that his reputation precedes him!
An on-line acquaintance who made me aware of CGF bought a Lachenalia viridiflora at one of the talks that he gave at her local garden society evenings. That is one to snap up!

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
I have bought quite a lot off CGF mail order and never had any problems.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Houseslippers

• Wallet-emptying plantaholic
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
CGF is a fabulous nursery, with a huge range of very tempting plants to suit various tastes constantly changing. I always spend more than I planned when I go there.
Tony Danford in deepest suburban south London
3 allotments and counting
This year's obsession: Paphiopedilum & Cypripedium

meanie

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 05:56:21 PM »
Oh dear, it's going to cost me a fortune!

manicbotanic

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »
well ive just recieved 4 lovely well packaged paris rhizomes.all wrapped in moss from greenmile nursery in belgium.in fact axialis was still in leaf and looks fine.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
It's always nice to hear positive feed back. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
I  can agree with Manicbotanic about Greenmile nursery  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
For NZers, I've had good plants from Parva Plants recently, tho' one Scutellaria has refused to break dormancy. The packing of the plants is quite good but my hand has twice been ripped open by badly closed staples.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »
In 2010 I received bulbs under the name “Narcissus cantabricus ssp cantabricus from Malaga” from Miniature Bulbs. These flowered for the first time this year & turned out to be N. cantabricus var. foliosus (from N Africa).

I reported this to Miniature Bulbs. Here is their reply:

"Thank you for your email.  The 'cantabricus' bulbs were obtained a couple of years ago as small bulbs and grown on.  These came from a very well known gentleman grower who I can only surmise 'mixed up accidentally' some cantabricus.

Sorry to hear that you have not received the N.cantabricus subsp cantabricus you had hoped for but as you will note we did not put any up for sale this year.

Our alpines have yet to start flowering although there is plenty of green growth but we are in North Yorkshire.

Regards
Ivor Fox”

A perfunctory apology, no offer of replacement bulbs & no offer of  any kind of refund - the bulbs I received were somewhat cheaper than the ones I paid for. I received no reply to a further email enquiring about this.

This is not the first time I have received wrongly identified bulbs from this source together with a complacent response to a complaint but it will certainly be the last. It appears that, unlike other suppliers, this one  accepts no responsibility for the identity of the plants he sells. His ‘Terms of Business’  state that  “No liability will be accepted after 14 Days...” A clever strategy for an irresponsible bulb seller!

Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
Further to my post above - I emailed Miniature Bulbs to inform them of my intention to post here. This morning I received an reply telling me that I would be refunded the difference in cost between the bulbs I received (& did not want) & those I actually ordered. Mr Fox seemed somewhat aggrieved at my complaint.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

scatigaz

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
    I bought a single  Crocus laevigatus albus bulb from R V Roger nurseries in north Yorkshire in mid-October. Two weeks later it flowered and i realised it obviously wasnt this variety. I phoned them and within two days had THREE replacement bulbs. Brilliant service. Will definitely be buying from this nursery again in the very near future.
gary lee

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal