We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aurora Borealis  (Read 3635 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Aurora Borealis
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
Hoy, Aurora Borealis in Moscow it is possible to watch sometimes - I saw it in 2007, but this feeble semblance of beauty which you see in the north. And to see it it is possible if attentively to look in the sky.
By the way, it is possible a question?  When I watched Aurora Borealis in the winter on Kola peninsula, it seemed to me that the light publishes crackling sounds. It from Aurora Borealis or simply was frosty weather? :)

Yes, a lot of people say they hear a crackling sound when they see the northern light but it has not been recorded by any instruments yet so far I know. The light is generated very high up in the atmosphere (90-120km, and up to 2-300km) so it is impossible to hear sounds from that altitude but the electric phenomenon that creates the light generates very high electric field that maybe produce sounds nearer to the ground.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal