We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Huge arisaema tortuosum tuber  (Read 674 times)

pontus

Huge arisaema tortuosum tuber
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »
another huge bulb, in fact a tuber this time..

this is one of my arisaema tortuosum specimen tubers, about 10 cm's across and wheighing almost 200 g!

this is one of my favourite species, curiuos and attractive at the same time, quite a show stopping plant in summer!

Pontus
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:31:34 PM by pontus »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Huge arisaema tortuosum tuber
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
Pontus, you can go back to a previous post to correct a mistake or add something by clicking on the "modify" button.

Nice tuber... I like the photo  because it shows how the roots appear just under the shoot, on the top of the tuber.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

pontus

Re: Huge arisaema tortuosum tuber
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:35:52 PM »
thank you maggie for the note, i have now corrected my original post, but dont know how to remove my 2nd post about the correction.. {edit by maggi.... I can do that for you!}

yes, i also like how they produce roots just around the shoot. I did not know that arisaemas did this untill i started growing them last year...

i usually prefer to whait to plant my arisaema tubers untill i see a shoot emerging, and a few root tips showing, as that shows the tuber is healthy and really is ready to get going. they dont mind being out of thr ground as dormant tubers, so i usually store them in a cool dry place in boxes whith wood chippings from november to april, and they dont like the wet swiss winters in the ground. they seem to like this system well. as i dont have hundreds of them 8yet) its not very time consuming to do it this way, and it means that i usually dont loose any of my tubers to rotting at all...which is good, as they are very precious little 8or big) things...! my grifithii pradhanii tubers are even bigger than this tortuosum tuber..
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:22:30 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal