We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trips to Meluna (Hill at 803 m)  (Read 1571 times)

papapoly

Trips to Meluna (Hill at 803 m)
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »
Dear friends,

I will describe to you a couple trips I took to a nearby hill only 803 m but floristically, in my opinion, very interesting.  I took one trip very early on March 3, 2012 and the other just yesterday.  I had visited this hill the first week of April last year and I was amazed by the kaleidoscope of colors and the variety of wildflowers I saw. 

Unfortunately, this year I was 1 month late and most of the flowers I had seen last year were in fruit.  I managed though to get a few pictures of some plants I hadn't seen last year that you might find intersting.  Most fascinating was  the ruggedness of the terrain.  The perfect rock garden as you will see from pictures in forthcoming Postings. 

I start with my visit on March 3:

1st image: At 300 m facing south this Euphorbia species

2nd image: Anemone sp at 400 m (coronaria?)

The next 4 images: Bellevalia hyacinthoides occuring from 400 to 600 m, in some places very profusely

The next three images are of a Gagea sp

Finally,  at 300 m, which I visited on December 31, 2011 in order to identify a Crocus sp (to see it flower) and whose seeds I had collected last April, I saw plenty of Sternbergia sp in fruit, in some places growing profusely facing South and growing together with the former but, only up to 400 m, while the Crocus sp grew all the way up to the top (803 m).  I saw the leaves of the Crocus sp later on March 3 and I identified it (from the corm tunics) to be Crocus cancellatus ssp mazizaricus.  I must visit again in the Fall.

I will commence with yesterday's trip either tonight or tommorow afternoon

Kind regards,

George Papapolymerou

Gerry Webster

Re: Trips to Meluna (Hill at 803 m)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
Very interesting George.
The Sternbergia sp. looks like what is usually known as S. sicula though some taxonomists now wish to include it in S. lutea.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

papapoly

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks Gerry,
I thought that itmay be sicula but I wasn't sure.  I have lutea and its leaves are wider than those of the wild species shown above.

First two photos:  A blue sp occured up to about 600 m (#1422 and #1428).  Its diameter is about 2-3 cm.

Third and fourth photos:  Are these Achillea sp? (#1426 and #1429)

5th and 6th photos (#1430 and 1459):  There was an iri sp, lemon yellow, that I had seen last year flower from 600 m all the way to the top.  It occured by the hundreds o thousands.  This year it was well past flowering.  When flowering it about 5 cm tall (at the most).  As you ca see from this year's photos the seed capsules are sessile and very large compared to the size of the plant.

7th, 8th and 9th pics: Next I found this Onosma species growing from 600 m to 700 m

George

majallison

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »
George, your first two photos look like Nigella damascena, the next few Orlaya grandiflora, an umbellifer (not, I think, Achillea)...
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

papapoly

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »
Thank you, Majallison
I have seen Achilea sp, you are right.  This looks different.

Next, 1st pic (#1433): I found this small species. Is it a Thymus sp? help please. 2nd, 3rd and 4th pics (#1419, #1440 and #1435): Campanula species. About 50 cm high. Note the hairines of the stems. What species Could it be? This year I could not find the Ophrys sp I found last year as several flowers growing in the same area (600-700 m) 5th pic (1439): This sp was growing i bunches of 2-4 out of a single rosette 6th pic (#1444): Note the typical terrain above at and 600 m. These rocks were void of soil. The soil was probably deeper. An ideal habitat. A lot of wildflowers were growing past their best. Last year, early April, I was sitting and admiring them. The leaves of most plants were forming rosettes. 7th pic (#1455): A small cushion-like plant, about 20-25 cm in size, past its best as can be seen by the majority of its flowers which are closed. Size of flowers is about 4-5 mm. George

papapoly

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »
Malcolm,

Again thanks for pointing this out.

Next,

1st and 2nd pics (#1443 and #1448):  Two pea-like flowers:  a short one and a bush forming plant, chewd o by goats.

3rd pic (#1452): An Orobanche (?) sp past its peak

4th pic (#1453): A small bush, about 35 cm with yellow flowers.  Pic isn't a good one.  can someone identify the genus?

5th pic (#1458):  I saw this last year near the top in full flower.  Now it well past its peak.  it also grows out in the open not just i crevices together with some Potentilla sp.   It reahes about 35 cm.  Is it an Aubrieta sp perhaps?  Here, near the top, at least 9 species were well past flowering.  Some others were not compact enough or at their best to take pictures.

6th pick (#1461):  Not very impessive, about 40-50 cm high.   

George

papapoly

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
Finally,

First four pics:  This bush.  Can someone tell me what it is?

5th and 6th picks:  Not very worthwhile but, may be I should show you.  A small yellow species (Along with a carnation) and a yellow (Sedum?) species growing all over in rock crevices but not forming large mats.

I know that most of you are really interested in high alpines.  I truly believe that they are magnificent.  However, my personal view, some scenery can be really breathtaking with low altitude plants.  I only captured a mere 20-25% of the species and density of flowers I saw last year in the same place between 600 and 800 m.  The density of flowering plants and the varation in color was overwhelming.  I was shocked because, up to then, I always thought that I had to go to high altitudes to see such scenery.  Unfortunately though, at these low altitudes, the flowering season is very sort and on top of that this year, after April 10, it has been an unusually warm Spring.

Kind regards,

George Papapolymerou

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »
Hello George, the  yellow flowered bush in your first four photos is a Phlomis sp probably P. fruticosa.

Thank you for posting pictures of your trip to Menula.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »
George, I think you will find that many of us appreciate beautiful wildfowers from any altitude!  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
George, your first two photos look like Nigella damascena,
what we call "Love in the Mist." :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

pontus

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:50:46 PM »
thats a fabulous anemone sp. I have a faint memory of seeing it in geneva botanical garden many years ago, but cant remember the name....

do you think it is hardy?

papapoly

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »
This anemone grows at about 500 m among tall grasses.  So it is protected during the summer months.  During winter temperatures fall to about -10 to -15 oC and occasionally up to -20 oC.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 05:55:45 PM »
George

the anemone is quite common on Mt Ossa in different colour forms. I can never identify them  but I have a nice collection of colours
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

papapoly

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
Tony,

Yes, this anemone is quite common on Ossa.  Here is a pic which I converted from by photographing with my digital camera a paper photo.  This is from 400m as one ascends to the village of Spilia (850 m).  The quality may not be so good but it gives an idea of the colour variation.

George

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
How wonderful to come across such a sight in the hills. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal