We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Kent Garden Show  (Read 986 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Kent Garden Show
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »
Watching the preparations of SRGC for 'Gardening Scotland', and the final display has been exciting and educational - especially having been involved in doing the same thing for the Hardy Plant Society at Chelsea a number of times. It would be difficult to put together an alpine display for our local Kent Garden Show, but the Kent HPS which has a much larger and enthusiastic membership, did put on a lovely and rewarding display, even if not with quite the panache of SRGC. There is a close connection between the AGS and HPS in Kent simply because many who run them belong to both.

Hardy Perennials lend themselves to a more romantic 'cottage' garden type display, which must hold universal appeal to keen gardeners, and was certainly a contrast to many of the more individual displays from nurseries. Some of the combinations of plants and colours were very attractive and probably one of the greatest enjoyments of putting together such a display - it is very much the same thing that you would do in your own garden. Alpines are rather different because the individuality of the plants tends to come to the fore, but the same sense of ecological and aesthetic sensibility must be what makes a display so 'right'.

Amongst the other displays 'Just Air Plants' was beautifully put together and Tom Hart Dyke from Lullingstone had some stunning specimens of cacti and succulents. This is the first time I have been to the Show and although very many of the outdoor 'nurseries' were very homogeneous (ie: lots of plants all from the same sources), amongst them were quite a few with more exciting plants for the knowlegeable and adventurous gardener. The interest shown in the Kent HPS stand was very encouraging and I expect I shall be back next year!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Kent Garden Show
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:08:18 AM »
And a few more...
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Kent Garden Show
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »
I think that is a really lovely display, Tim.  I much admire that large double white paeony - can't remember when I last saw one of those " in the flesh" - and who wouldn't be pleased to see such a fabulous plant of that large-leaved hosta?

I'll be researching all those weird and wonderful Solanum in the last picture, too.... a most interesting, if dangerous looking bunch!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal