We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nomocharis 2012  (Read 1717 times)

Claire Cockcroft

Nomocharis 2012
« on: June 09, 2012, 12:54:56 AM »
I grew this Nomocharis from seed from the Alpine Garden Club of British Columbia.  I believe it's Nomocharis aperta, but the names are confusing so I don't mind if any corrects me.  :)
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
Re: Nomocharis 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
Hello Claire

Nice plant
How long did it take to flower

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 05:31:17 PM »
This one required a lot of patience.  The seeds were planted in January, 2000, with first flowers in 2008.  Each year I get more flowers, but other nomocharis have vanished after just one flowering season.
Claire Cockcroft

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
In flower today, grown as Nomocharis x finlayorum.  ::)

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
I grew this Nomocharis from seed from the Alpine Garden Club of British Columbia.  I believe it's Nomocharis aperta, but the names are confusing so I don't mind if any corrects me.  :)
To me it looks like meleagrina. Aperta does not have these curious filaments. Instead it has swellings at the bases of the inner tepals. Pardanthina is similar but has wider inner tepals and they are usually fringed at the edges.
I have got the same from seed marked "aperta"
The one I have as 'finlayorum' is very similar but taller. since it is a kind of  hybrid swarm I assume it can vary.
I have posted pictures at the pacific bulb society's site. You can refer to these.
Cheers
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
Thank you, Göte, for making me go out and look again at the nomocharis.  The leaves are NOT in whorls.  After examining the Pacific Bulb Society's nomocharis pictures, I think mine most resembles Nomocharis x finlayorum.  I've enlarged the flower for a closer look.
Claire Cockcroft

angie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »
One of my favourite plants. I had a few but when I had to dig my border out for the house extension I seemed to have missed them. I threw all the soil in my pony paddock so it might be worth raking through the soil to see if they are in there. I hope so anyway as they are so lovely.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »
It does not quite look like my finlayorum but I assume they can vary a lot. The width of the iner tepals suggest a pardanthina with smoother petal edges than they usually have. If it were found wild I think it would key out as pardanthia. In a garden situation the parentage may be mixed.
Goodlooking whatever it is.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal