We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron... every garden should have some  (Read 147462 times)

Graham Catlow

Re: Rhododendron... every garden should have some
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
The small size over that period of growth does suggest either Intrifast or even straight fastigiatum... which I have a nice shiny leaved form of, quite like Graham's.
I thought by the initial photo that the plant might be rather larger than it really is.

Hmmm, this is why rhodo lovers go to bed with headaches.

Here's 'Intrifast' ex Glendoick shot #1 and as may be a selected form or a repeat of the cross.  It doesn't have that curved shiny old foliage and has remnants of scales.  Also a shot of fastigiatum #2 and the true impeditum #3.  The last two were identified by Cullen himself.  

Maggi - If you look at the fastgiatum shot you'll see the old leaves have a slight curve so a fastgiatum hybrid Graham's may be.  These are a minefield and we haven't  - and won't - even discussed scales, their distance apart or their colour.

Hi John, Maggi and Diane
I have just been out and photographed the leaves of the blie one if that is any help.

Old leaves
Old leaves close up
Old leaves underside
New growth

Graham

Graham has started a new topic about this plant :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5597.new#new   please make any further comments on it in that thread. Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:12:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Bo'ness. Scotland

birck

« Reply #316 on: June 06, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
Do you agree the first pinky "camp" is too open-faced?

I think that open faced or not, might not give a hint to if it is "true"
Have found so many variations in cw seed .
Here some photos.

The last one is a hybrid  not flat faced
(campylogynum yellow x Tessa Dane)
The first proberly a hybrid and Tessa Dane is (campylogynum (purple! x brachyanthum)

Actually I have been band access to SRGC www by Internet Explore for several month now.
Then EU come up with new rules (microsorft) so I treid out Google Chrome and every thing
are ok again!!!!!!!!!!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #317 on: June 06, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »
Graham  - From the pictures of the new growth in this last posting this lepidote can't be a Lapponica species, I think Maggi and Jens will agree.

Jens    - What variation in the campylogynum hybrids! Even straightish stigmas.  I don't think Graham's plant labelled Myrtyllloides can be correct do you?

Your Tessa Dane is superb.  Tessa must be very proud.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

birck

« Reply #318 on: June 06, 2010, 08:12:54 PM »
Here the same plant as in picture #2
almost just before it drop the flowers ( a few years ago)
So I think the variaton can be great.

I think You are right about the myrtilloides.

Last photo very short stigma
on a interclon "hyb" of campylogynum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #319 on: June 08, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »
We have not got too far with the ID for Graham's purple/blue   :-\ :-[
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5597.new#new   please make any further comments on it in that thread. Thanks!

but here is a link to a photo of Diane's myrtilloides in one of her Midland Garden  Diary entries......
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Midland/+May/ +/280    
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:12:13 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #320 on: June 08, 2010, 09:11:43 PM »
The small size over that period of growth does suggest either Intrifast or even straight fastigiatum... which I have a nice shiny leaved form of, quite like Graham's.
I thought by the initial photo that the plant might be rather larger than it really is.

Hmmm, this is why rhodo lovers go to bed with headaches.

Here's 'Intrifast' ex Glendoick shot #1 and as may be a selected form or a repeat of the cross.  It doesn't have that curved shiny old foliage and has remnants of scales.  Also a shot of fastigiatum #2 and the true impeditum #3.  The last two were identified by Cullen himself.  

Maggi - If you look at the fastgiatum shot you'll see the old leaves have a slight curve so a fastgiatum hybrid Graham's may be.  These are a minefield and we haven't  - and won't - even discussed scales, their distance apart or their colour.

Hi John, Maggi and Diane
I have just been out and photographed the leaves of the blie one if that is any help.

Old leaves
Old leaves close up
Old leaves underside
New growth

Graham
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #321 on: June 10, 2010, 01:56:01 AM »
Flowering at another friend's garden today - R. calendulaceum, the flame azalea and a selected Enkianthus campanulatus 'Showy Lanterns'.  The latter is a really worthwhile plant as is the azalea for late/mideseason bloom.

johnw

Onion

« Reply #322 on: June 10, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
John,

what a beauty this R. calendulaceum. Not very often offered by the nursery in this area.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

johnw

« Reply #323 on: June 10, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
Uli - I was impressed with that calendulaceum too, one of the nicest I've seen.  Why the hybrid azaleas are so popular baffles me but it shouldn't.  Abnother good one which is still tight in bud is bakeri and I'll try to get a photo of it in July.  It's ever bit as good.

johnw

Onion

« Reply #324 on: June 10, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »
John,

we have the R. bakeri. But in my opinion it is a very bad example of this species. The colour is a pale orange-red. Looks like the German version of R. bakeri.

johnw

« Reply #325 on: June 10, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
John,

we have the R. bakeri. But in my opinion it is a very bad example of this species. The colour is a pale orange-red. Looks like the German version of R. bakeri.

Uli - I can collect seeds for you but you realize the seed, as with even collected wild calendulaceum, is likely to give hybrids.  I can cross two goods ones next year at my friend's.  If you need bakeri let me know as it flowers so late it should come true.  He got the mother plants of both species from the Beasleys in the mountains of Georgia  (http://www.transplant-nursery.com/), they are/were famous for their selected forms of the native azalea species - and these are the best I've seen.  In the past my friend's crossed his best calendulaceums together, also best bakeris so he has another generation coming on.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:59:47 PM by johnw »

Onion

« Reply #326 on: June 10, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
John, send you a PM.

Roma

« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »
A few Rhododendrons at the Cruickshank Botanic Garden on Thursday night.  It was cold, the light was poor, I didn't have much time and I was eating a sandwich as I wandered round the garden so did not look for names if not obvious.

Two colour forms of Rhododendron kiusianum
Rhododendron leaf gall
New foliage on large Rhodo
Lovely orange azalea
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2010, 08:05:05 AM »
What a lovely soft colour and variation on the colour forms of Rhododendron Roma....Looks like the orange azalea was planted close by and they must make a striking mix. 
The glimpse of the grounds is rather tantalising :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Roma

« Reply #329 on: June 14, 2010, 10:20:14 PM »
Robin,
I do have digital pictures of the gardens taken in the last two years, early May and late October only, when I have been taking in plants for the twice yearly bring and buy sales run by the Friends of the Cruickshank Garden.  I've been meaning to post them sometime.  I can't seem to find the time to go in at other times.

I also have loads of slides and prints going back many years but I don't think I'd ever find the time to digitalise them.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal