We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron... every garden should have some  (Read 146469 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhododendron... every garden should have some
« Reply #645 on: August 06, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »
'Curlew' is one of those rhodos which makes a second flowering in summer more often than not in my garden.

Very obliging of them and not something which seems to have much correlation to what the weather was earlier in the year.  We do not find that these "extra bonus" flowers come at the expense of new flowers in spring.  A real "win-win" situation for us!

We had an extra flowering on some in June but the ones which usually give us a summer bonus haven't started yet - any time soon I hope!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #646 on: August 06, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
re: Curlew

A persistent drought followed by rain will spark many lepidotes to flower.  As Maggi says oftentimes the explanation is impossible.  In 2011 we had a very wet summer, some of the high altitude lepidotes like impeditum & fastigiatum etc. flowered in May, again in late June and again in October.  What is amazing is that they set buds again and flowered the next spring.  My best guess is our growing season is too long, these guys probably emerge from the snow in June and are buried again in late September in a normal year.  Friends have seen autumn flowering in China, so where does that leaves us?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #647 on: October 12, 2013, 05:23:21 AM »
I have three in bloom now for which I'd like names please. They're all very good and in the case of the third, huge, both in bloom and in bush, about 2.5m high! As in eveyy case in this garden - there are no labels. There is also fragrantissimum but a light frost yesterday did for that, and quite a nice yellow which I'll ask about when more flowers are out. Thanks. The third one has fine, darker stripes in the flowers. First thought - VIRUS - but surely not? They're very pretty, candy cane-like.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #648 on: October 12, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
I have three in bloom now for which I'd like names please. They're all very good and in the case of the third, huge, both in bloom and in bush, about 2.5m high! As in eveyy case in this garden - there are no labels. There is also fragrantissimum but a light frost yesterday did for that, and quite a nice yellow which I'll ask about when more flowers are out. Thanks. The third one has fine, darker stripes in the flowers. First thought - VIRUS - but surely not? They're very pretty, candy cane-like.

Nice to see these at this time of year Lesley

The first maybe is called "Unique" as to the others they look like hybrids but can't help with these  perhaps the second one is Cynthia?

Just looked at the foliage perhaps not
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:59:37 AM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Graham Catlow

« Reply #649 on: October 12, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »

Lesley,
The yellow one looks like a 'Creamy Chiffon' which I have.

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Neil J

« Reply #650 on: October 12, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
I'd support Ian's comment. Definitely Unique. A lovely rhodo!

johnw

« Reply #651 on: October 12, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
I too thought Unique the moment I saw the first picture Lesley.  Ian, the foliage is not quite right is it?  That foliage is excellent.

Not Creamy Chiffon as it is doubly, semi or full I can't remember & ho-hum foliage..

johnw
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:35:49 PM by johnw »

johnw

« Reply #652 on: October 12, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »
The third one has fine, darker stripes in the flowers. First thought - VIRUS - but surely not? They're very pretty, candy cane-like.

I was thinking it's good you didn't post that one under Crocus................

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #653 on: October 12, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »
Maggi, I was in a garden today you would love to go see. I was in David and Janet Ledsham's garden and saw loads of Rhododendrons from the smallest to to what will be giants in time. I'll post photos later
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #654 on: October 12, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
I can well believe that, Mark -  I remember the pix we've seen from their garden in the past, for instance :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4421.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #655 on: October 12, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »
Lesley

I shot your pix off to the boss - Harold Greer and he confirms:

1 is 'Unique'
2 is 'Unkown Warrior', pinker than usual
3 he thinks is Douglas Stephens - " It is close to ‘Douglas Stephens’, but while ‘Douglas Stephens’ does have a two toned appearance, it starts darker and gets lighter, I have never seen so much of a candy stripe appearance on the petals.  Sometimes climate and location can make a difference.  I think ‘Douglas Stephens’ is probably in New Zealand as I probably sent it down there years ago when rhododendrons could be sent there.  See the attached picture of the mystery plant with a picture of ‘Douglas Stephens’."

Compare:

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #656 on: October 14, 2013, 10:57:15 PM »
Thanks everyone. 'Unique' is very well known here, almost in every rhodo collection and it didn't occur to me because we usually have it as a slightly creamier colour. This one has matured almost clean white. The third which may be 'Douglas Stephens,' is maturing a soft, candyfloss pink so I'll add that name a little tentatively. But I guess you can't get a better source for names than Harold Greer!

Next year we are having a big International Rhododendron Conference in Dunedin and there should be dozens who'd be able to name anything but they won't be coming anywhere near my garden.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:01:13 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #657 on: October 15, 2013, 05:44:10 AM »
Well, Lesley, rhodo conferences usually incorporate a show, so
the organizers could designate a table for "unknowns: please id"
and you can take a truss along to be identified. 

Diane
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Neil J

« Reply #658 on: October 15, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
Lesley, I have observed R. Unique presenting very differently in different parts of Australia. All beautiful, but flower colour, leaf colour & habit can be quite different. Apparently just responding to climate.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #659 on: October 16, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
Well, Lesley, rhodo conferences usually incorporate a show, so
the organizers could designate a table for "unknowns: please id"
and you can take a truss along to be identified. 

Diane
That's a good idea Diane. I know a few of the people involved in the organizing so I'll suggest it. One is Forumist Susan More. Unfortunately we had a good frost a couple of days ago and the two pinks in my pics above were frosted on the tops of the bushes. Underneath and the not-out blooms seem OK. A few more are opening, including a nice low red. Could be 'Elizabeth Hobbie,' very waxy bells. My own (brought with me) R. hanceanum nanum is flowering in a polystyrene box as it never did in the garden previously. Must get a picture.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal