We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium 2013  (Read 63551 times)

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
Re: Allium 2013
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
some alliums flowering today;

allium hyalinum
allium shelkovnikovii
allium cassium var hirtellum
allium baisunense
allium caesium "Aravan"
Wietse Mellema, Klutenweg 39 I, Creil  Netherlands
Bulbs and bulbflower grower of allium and tulips

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »
and some more......

allium seedling caesium
allium oreophilum "Kuramins Dwarf"
allium komarovii
allium alexejanum
allium view

Rimmer de Vries

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2013, 07:48:08 PM »
This 12-18" tall white allium came as wild collected seed from SW Oregon labelled as Allium siskiyouense.
Can anyone confirm its identity?
The photos of Allium siskiyouense I find on line show a purple pink flower
Rimmer
Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
36.9685° N
USDA zone 6b-7a
Long hot humid summers
Cool wet winter
Heavy red clay soil over limestone karst

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:21 PM »
Dear friends, to justify the slogan "an onion farmer to the forum", made up and generously granted to me by Maggi, this June I visited Weitse Mellema's farm in Holland. So now I can boast that I have seen an onion farm at least. And what a day it was! As the season is late this year in the Netherlands I was lucky to see many alliums in bloom. Here are some pictures taken there. Sorry, no names of plants (they were so numerous). I hope the pics will be downloaded in the right position (when I post vertical pictures they are shown on their sides here). But this is not a problem for those with I pads or lap tops :D  Some more pictures will follow if and when I'm successful with resizing them as they are all more than 200 kb. Help will be appreciated
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:04:17 PM by Maggi Young »
in Moscow

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
This 12-18" tall white allium came as wild collected seed from SW Oregon labelled as Allium siskiyouense.
Can anyone confirm its identity?
The photos of Allium siskiyouense I find on line show a purple pink flower

Hi Rimmer, it's certainly NOT Allium siskiyouense, a small dwarf species like A. crenulatum, your plant looks like the asian Allium ramosum to me, probably a seed mixup.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:51:00 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
Dear friends, to justify the slogan "an onion farmer to the forum", made up and generously granted to me by Maggi, this June I visited Weitse Mellema's farm in Holland. So now I can boast that I have seen an onion farm at least. And what a day it was! As the season is late this year in the Netherlands I was lucky to see many alliums in bloom. Here are some pictures taken there. Sorry, no names of plants (they were so numerous). I hope the pics will be downloaded in the right position (when I post vertical pictures they are shown on their sides here). But this is not a problem for those with I pads or lap tops :D  Some more pictures will follow if and when I'm successful with resizing them as they are all more than 200 kb. Help will be appreciated

You were our first forum allium fan, Oleg! Great to see you and Wietse - and those very tall onions. Now I see why you were too busy this year to visit us here! 

You must  have seen all Wietse's wonderful  onions before they were exhibited at Lisse - such a privilege.
Luit tells us he showed around 100 at Lisse this week - that's a lot of onions!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »
I'm glad, Maggi, that I'm not the only one now. And due to the forum I have received a lot of useful advice from real allium farmers and pundits. Yes I had a privilege to see all these alliums on June, 11. I had never seen some of them flowering and had a vague idea of the existence of some of them (esp. hybrids). Also I was fascinated by all the machinery used in bulb farming. I couldn't even guess that there is a machine to cut seed heads of tulips. Unfortunately I'm still struggling with the PC to resize the pictures. I remember some advice on how to do this in the forum but have failed to find it so far
in Moscow

pontus

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »
Hello Weitse,

yes, it is that very nice deep pink purple colour, although the last 2 pictures where taken in evening light, so look a bit more red. I would say that in real life, the plant is more like the first image. Of course, with digital photography, it is sometimes hard to capture a colour to 100%, but I would say it is fairly close...
They are doing well here, so if you want some, maybe we can swap?

I think you are correct about the mislabelled woronowii....ever since they started flowering i had my suspicions....as they did not look close to the images of woronowii i had seen on the internet....also, they did not really have the nice smell often associated with woronowii.....:(!...

Pontus

Pontus,

Is the colour of your barsczewskyi aman kutan real as red as the photo is showing?, it is a very beautiful colour!

I think your allium woronowii is allium decipiens ssp quercetorum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »
I'm glad, Maggi, that I'm not the only one now. And due to the forum I have received a lot of useful advice from real allium farmers and pundits. Yes I had a privilege to see all these alliums on June, 11. I had never seen some of them flowering and had a vague idea of the existence of some of them (esp. hybrids). Also I was fascinated by all the machinery used in bulb farming. I couldn't even guess that there is a machine to cut seed heads of tulips. Unfortunately I'm still struggling with the PC to resize the pictures. I remember some advice on how to do this in the forum but have failed to find it so far

I am envious of your visit, Oleg.

I have sent you a link to some help for resizing photos ;.))

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »
The only allium that I keep aside from the garden worthy plants which are strewn throughout borders etc is Allium sikkimense
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »
The only allium that I keep aside from the garden worthy plants which are strewn throughout borders etc is Allium sikkimense

allium sikkimense is a real beauty, and never a problem in your garden!
The 2 photos you show are allium cyathophorum far farreri (also a beauty, but indeed a little weedy)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 02:55:46 PM by wmel »

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
some more photo's from today

allium bolanderi mirabile
allium siskiyouense
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:17:11 PM by wmel »

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »

Mark thanks for your interest!
I find it very unfortunate that the last two years less and less people have  interest in the forum.
Especially where it concerns the Alliums, because I think there is about far more to it, and there are still many Alliums to show.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:15:00 PM by wmel »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
I see that over 2000 people have read this thread  so far- is there really a decrease in interest in allium?

I do think there is quite a lot of disappointment from folks who buy allium bulbs for the garden that do not grow well - I've had that conversation with several people, but I think the interest is there- maybe just needs  more reliable supplies to the trade than many of us can find.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »
I purchased both Allium narcissiflorum and A. insubricum some years ago.
A. narcissiflorum has done well but insubricum less so.

1. A. narcissiflorum
2. A. insubricum
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal