We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium 2013  (Read 63519 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Allium 2013
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
Weitse, catching up here, your bright pink Allium paniculatum "var. minor" looks like one of the dwarf forms of Allium carinatum var. pulchellum.  There isn't a published "var. minor" for paniculatum, although this group is certainly difficult with so many closely allied species.  Whatever its true name, it's a bright and perky looking onion.

Your A. ampeloprasum selections are terrific, I particularly like the "fun" ones, 'Hairy Friend' and 'Green Drops'.

Stephen, the allium from Oregon, are you saying it's an Allium collected and native to Oregon, or from a gardener in Oregon. Allium stellatum doesn't get as far west as Oregon, although there are discrepancies in the Flora of North America distribution map and the USDA (remember on the USDA maps, if a species just crosses into a State, the entire state gets colored in their maps).
USDA:
http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=ALST
FNA:
http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=8565&flora_id=1

Both maps are flawed; as State floras record this species as occuring in many more Eastern States than either map shows, and I have a microfiche (microfilm archive documents) printout from one of Marion Ownbey's student, a thesis study on some North American Allium alliances, and A. stellatum goes much further east than generally recorded.

The plant you show is really attractive, with those rounded almost hood-like outer tepals, and erect nearly-closed inner tepals. There are forms of Allium cernuum that show more stronger than other forms, the divergence between the outer and inner tepals. Allium cernuum that I collected among a cobblestone beach at Deception Pass, Whidbey Island, Washington, just above Pacific Ocean high tide, an unlikely spot to be sure, but the allium grew in great numbers, was a smallish form with the three outer tepals flaring outwards, and the three inner ones in the rounded cup shape. At first glance your Oregon plant looks like a stellatum x cernuum hybrid, but if it was collected wild, then it must be a form of cernuum.

Love the shy A. wallichii photo (and beautiful blue stenoden too), I can germinate wallichii (sometimes), but after planting them out, they never make it past the first year, I think I'm giving them spots that are too dry.

And here's a recent couple of interesting alliums, salvaged out of my 2-1/2 yr neglected Allium garden, salvage operation are scheduled for the autumn.  A few years back I started getting some hybrids with Allium cernuum (late flowered forms) and Allium stellatum, crossing with pulchellum. The hybrids inherit the deep pink or reddish coloration of the pedicels, and floret size is very small.  Here are a couple:

Putative Allium cernuum x pulchellum hybrid, intensely colored pedicels, tiny rounded deep-color florets, very slender to 14" tall, tiny bloom head only a little over an inch across (about 3 cm).  Four photos, views of the flowers in bright overcast day, then also in full sun, plus a view of the bulbs.
409858-0 409860-1

409862-2 409864-3

409866-4

Next I'll show a variation on a theme, what I suspect is A. stellatum x pulchellum
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #211 on: August 09, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
Following up to my last post, this is a variation on a theme, a taller one, 16-18", which I would assign as A. stellatum x pulchellum (or possibly an Allium (stellatum x cernuum) x pulchellum cross) with starry flowers, and sideways deposed flower head similar to stellatum, and again, deep color pedicels.

409868-0 409870-1

409872-2 409874-3
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Two interesting Alliums,

First is Allium pyrenaicum of which i took a picture in its habitat in the Spanish Pyrenees last month.
It is a rare and endangered species found on the 'Red List'.

The second is a curious Allium which  is in bloom at the moment, probably closely related to A. cupani.
I have found it in Eastern Crete and so far haven't found any description of it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:27:27 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Two interesting Alliums,
First is Allium pyrenaicum of which i took a picture in its habitat in the Spanish Pyrenees last month.
It is a rare and endangered species found on the 'Red List'.
The second is a curious Allium which  is in bloom at the moment, probably closely related to A. cupani.
I have found it in Eastern Crete and so far haven't found any description of it.

both very nice Alliums !
Wietse Mellema, Klutenweg 39 I, Creil  Netherlands
Bulbs and bulbflower grower of allium and tulips

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
Oron, looking at the one from Crete it looks as if it does something similar to Allium callimischon? ie dies back and the flowers come from the "dead" stalks? How tall is it?

as a general query to Allium growers, when is the best time to repot Allium callimischon haemostictum? I did mine the other day and didn't realise how fragile the connection between the flowering stalk and the bulb is and as a result lost at least one.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
as a general query to Allium growers, when is the best time to repot Allium callimischon haemostictum? I did mine the other day and didn't realise how fragile the connection between the flowering stalk and the bulb is and as a result lost at least one.

when allium callimischon  blooms, the  bulb  is mature.
The flower and stem have no function anymore,  only for seed production.
In the coming period, the bulb will make new leafs.
So now is a good time to repot, but you can also do in in september or oktober
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:09:31 PM by wmel »
Wietse Mellema, Klutenweg 39 I, Creil  Netherlands
Bulbs and bulbflower grower of allium and tulips

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
hi, I didn't make myself clear, I broke the to stems which have the flower buds for this year.

So I'm asking what is the best time to repot so that I don't lose the flowers due in autumn?
Oxford, UK

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #217 on: August 10, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
Oron, looking at the one from Crete it looks as if it does something similar to Allium callimischon? ie dies back and the flowers come from the "dead" stalks? How tall is it?

Mark,

Few species behave in this way in the Mediterranean, all flowering in late summer and early Autumn.
The species shown is 8-20cm with  tiny, slender, tubular flowers.
I grow both subsp. of A. callimischon, they look completely different and flower about 3 months later [October].

As for your question, you can repot your callimischon at any time but best time would be during summer when bulb is dormant.
It will not effect the buds as they receive nutrients from the bulb which is rootless at that time.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:13:21 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
Oron, thanks for showing true Allium pyrenaicum, attractive and distinctive looking species.  Your Cretan onion, does look like it's in the "cupanii alliance", of which there are dozens of species, but for most of them its impossible to find any photos to help with ID. Charming little allium, love the shiny red color to the inside of the flared mouth of the florets.

My wife Sukey, has been very busy aiming her new DSLR camera at my Allium garden, photographing various insect pollinators, here's her latest one of a yellow butterfly on Allium senescens.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
thanks Oron!
Oxford, UK

Rimmer de Vries

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
This nice pink allium 10" tall August blooming came as A togashii in the NARGS? 2009-10 seed ex no. 149
I can find no reference for this plant. Any ideas?
Rimmer
Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
36.9685° N
USDA zone 6b-7a
Long hot humid summers
Cool wet winter
Heavy red clay soil over limestone karst

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

TheOnionMan

« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »
Rimmer, also be aware of some confusion on the species epithet, togasii versus togashii.  In Ohwi's Flora of Japan published in 1953, he lists the species as Allium togasii, although the actual published name by Hara (also 1953) is A. togashii.  Both "togasii" & "togashii" are valid species epithets for various plants.  Ohwi's listing in Flora of Japan is probably a typo.  I see from IPNI.org that Ohwi published another plant with his spelling, Potentilla togasii Ohwi in 1959.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Rimmer de Vries

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
Thanks Mark
i saw you have pictures of a similar plant on the PBS Wiki; however mine is taller  :'(
Rimmer
Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
36.9685° N
USDA zone 6b-7a
Long hot humid summers
Cool wet winter
Heavy red clay soil over limestone karst

TheOnionMan

« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »
In Flora of Japan, height is given as 10-25 cm, and flowering time of July.  I grew two forms, the smaller one 4"-6" (10 - 15 cm) flowered in August, then I had a taller form (to 16", 40 cm) that flowered in September.  I started getting seedlings that were averaging 8-10".  Years ago I lost the taller late-flowering form, and there might be a bulb or two left of the smaller form in my terribly neglected beds overtaken with weeds and tall field grass.  I distributed seed of this species for a number of years, so its frequently seen in the seedexs.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal