We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium 2013  (Read 63522 times)

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
Re: Allium 2013
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »
Thanks Mark, I see the similarity to my other thunbergii now (also in flower)  :)

Incidentally, the seed for this one originated from Alexandra Berkutenko's seed list (2006-7) - I found a note of the order directly from her web site, so she had misspelled it...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
Stephen  - What has become of Mrs. Berkutenko these days?  I think she gave a NARGS tour about 15+ years ago.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #257 on: September 21, 2013, 09:28:06 PM »
I don't know John, although I think I read something about what she's doing recently...

This one (a form of A. paniculatum?) is also looking good at the moment...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »
My goodness Stephen, that's VERY late for paniculatum, although your plant does look like it.  Does it always bloom this late?  There's a huge number of Codonoprasum Allium (to which paniculatum is a member), so I wonder if this is actually a different fall-blooming species; there are a number of fall blooming Codonoprasum onions.  What's the source for this pretty onion?
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
I just googled Allium paniculatum "Dwarf Selection" which is the name I got it under in 2002 (seed, unknown source)...and our own discussion came up from 2010: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5766.msg165946#msg165946

Interesting to see how my clump has grown in that time :)  ...and yes, this is the normal flowering time here ( it flowers for quite some time)
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #260 on: September 27, 2013, 03:54:06 AM »
This little sweetie came from Kirk V as Allium nuttallii but Mark McD informed me last year that it's now Allium drummondii
(unless I've gotten that around the wrong way! ;D )
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

TheOnionMan

« Reply #261 on: September 27, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
You got it right Fermi, nuttalii is a synonym for Allium drummondii, and has been for quite a long time.

This USDA link will leads to photos showing some color forms:
http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=ALDR#

Flora of North America entry for Allium drummondii:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=242101355
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #262 on: September 27, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
I just googled Allium paniculatum "Dwarf Selection" which is the name I got it under in 2002 (seed, unknown source)...and our own discussion came up from 2010: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5766.msg165946#msg165946

Interesting to see how my clump has grown in that time :)  ...and yes, this is the normal flowering time here ( it flowers for quite some time)

Stephen, time sure flies, I vaguely remember that post now that I see it again.  Nice to see how your plant has bulked up in the last few years, an interesting late flowering form.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

ebbie

« Reply #263 on: October 06, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
Each year a pleasure: Allium callimischon var haemostictum.
Eberhard P., Landshut, Deutschland, Niederbayern
393m NN, 6b

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »

They are very nice!!
Wietse Mellema, Klutenweg 39 I, Creil  Netherlands
Bulbs and bulbflower grower of allium and tulips

TheOnionMan

« Reply #265 on: October 06, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
Ebbie, that is sooOOO special, what a glorious potful.  I've only grown the type species, not the more desirable haemostictum.

We've had a long string of perfect late summer-autumn weather, and a number of autumn blooming Allium are doing nicely.  First two views of Allium sacculiferum, one that goes around as Allium aff. thunbergii DJH (Dan Hinkley) 272, a very showy small allium with dense globular heads, unlike the effuse heads on Allium thunbergii. 

The next two are Allium pseudojaponicum, this is one I've wondered about for 2 decades, looks similar to thunbergii in bloom, but has flat leaves 4 mm wide (not three-sided hollow leaves as in thunbergii). The newer keys separate this species on account of the flat foliage and no teeth on the stamens.  This plant came to me as Allium taquetii (syn. of thunbergii) from the US National Arboretum, it has taken these two decades for the taxonomy to catch up and additional species to be defined around the thunbergii-virgunculae alliance, to be able to apply a name to it.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #266 on: October 06, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
And a couple more fall bloomers, the first three show Allium thunbergii, a robust white form that I find to be a particularly good garden plant, growing about 14"-16" tall (35-40 cm).  The last photo shows a late form of Allium stellatum, this one from Carroll County, Arkansas (seed was from Aaron Floden), which has been in flower for weeks.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Rimmer de Vries

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #267 on: October 06, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »

We've had a long string of perfect late summer-autumn weather, and a number of autumn blooming Allium are doing nicely.  First two views of Allium sacculiferum, one that goes around as Allium aff. thunbergii DJH (Dan Hinkley) 272, a very showy small allium with dense globular heads, unlike the effuse heads on Allium thunbergii. 

The next two are Allium pseudojaponicum, this is one I've wondered about for 2 decades, looks similar to thunbergii in bloom, but has flat leaves 4 mm wide (not three-sided hollow leaves as in thunbergii). The newer keys separate this species on account of the flat foliage and no teeth on the stamens.  This plant came to me as Allium taquetii (syn. of thunbergii) from the US National Arboretum, it has taken these two decades for the taxonomy to catch up and additional species to be defined around the thunbergii-virgunculae alliance, to be able to apply a name to it.

Hi Mark
i was really glad to see your post of these nice fall allium,

I have some of these growing here and I need some help on identify
first the typical Allium thurnbergii ozawa which is about 20cm tall and has narrow needle like triangular leaves- not hollow.
second the white form Allium thurnbergii alba triangular leave- not hollow, this year it is finally the same height as ozawa, but used to be taller but after several years in sand it has adjusted to the ozawa height. 

and the third is a larger plant about 30cm tall that is larger is all aspects but is the same form;  the flower are twice the size, the leaves are twice or more as large - still triangular form not hollow. This last one came as Allium thurnbergii  in NARGS seed  2009-10 #147
is this giant just a different variety of  Allium thurnbergii

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:26:36 PM by Rimmer de Vries »
Rimmer
Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
36.9685° N
USDA zone 6b-7a
Long hot humid summers
Cool wet winter
Heavy red clay soil over limestone karst

ArnoldT

« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
Mark:

Glad you're back in the saddle.

Always enjoy your pictures.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #269 on: October 07, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »

Ebbie, very nice compact form - well done!

I can not compete with you but close up my Allium callimischon haemostictum looks good too.
Allium wallichii

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal