We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2013  (Read 31236 times)

pontus

Re: Lilium 2013
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
Hello Poul,

If you have a few flowering sized bulbs to spare in the autumn, that would be nice, as I can use them for my project which i begun a few years ago trying to maintain, grow and save the old asiatic hybrids before they dissapear. This one is quite similar to the very nice enchantement which i have not yet found, as i believe it is sadly no longer in cultivation, but this mid century hybrid also looks very nice.

What would you like in exchange?

Pontus

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
@hans j

the only wild lily i found to be native in corsica should be Lilium bulbiferum (var. croceum?). but i never saw a complete yellow form. could it be an asiatic hybrid, escaped from garden?

Hello Greenspan ,

I have collect those seeds in the mountains ( in the middle of nowhere ) -there was no village near of this place .
After sowing in a pot I have moved those seedlings in a trough ...thats more or less the only Lilium ( except L.candidum + L.pyrenaicum )- my garden is not suitet for Lilium but this plants from Corsica grows well.

I agree that this L. bulbiferum forma croceum ...because it has not any bulbils

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »
Hello Poul,

If you have a few flowering sized bulbs to spare in the autumn, that would be nice, as I can use them for my project which i begun a few years ago trying to maintain, grow and save the old asiatic hybrids before they dissapear. This one is quite similar to the very nice enchantement which i have not yet found, as i believe it is sadly no longer in cultivation, but this mid century hybrid also looks very nice.

What would you like in exchange?

Pontus

Hi Pontus,

It is an interesting project and I will be happy to send you some flowering size bulbs later. Until now my interest is mainly bulbs, but for my new rock garden I could use some alpine plants/cuttings (in that field I am a newbie)

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
@hans j

the only wild lily i found to be native in corsica should be Lilium bulbiferum (var. croceum?). but i never saw a complete yellow form. could it be an asiatic hybrid, escaped from garden?

@pontus

thx for your kind offer. :) the martagon hybrid 'Dark Prince' looks great, but i only cultivate true species. i grow some cattaniae seedlings, but it will last some years till i'll see whether they are true cattaniae. so i'm looking to get adult bulbs to shorten the time, as i'm so impatient. ;D

Nearly all the Eurasian orange lilies have yellow forms so why not bulbiferum? It must be very rare though.

I grow v. Cattaniae but it does not have quite the flower shape of your pic. It is more "standard martagon shape". You can have a small bulb sometime in July.

Remind me in mid-July and give me your address.

Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

greenspan

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
@göte

thx for your very kind offer. my photo showed the beginning of flowering + a bit later, the flower turned to the "standard martagon shape". i'll send you a message in july. 8)

yes, yellow varieties occur, but i never saw this in bulbiferum. also no hit by g**gle-picture-search. that's why my guess for a garden haybrid. but in fact as hans wrote it was in the middle of nowhere + beside the colour the flower shape is like bulbiferum. i guess the rest of the plant too.
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
@ Greenspan :

I have just received a answer from a friend:
"Croceum is from latin and means: of the colour of saffron"

please look in G**gle for "Safrangelb" ...thats right !

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

pontus

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
there is a yellowish variety of lilium wilsonii....but it grows in Japan....so i doubt that is what it is...I had never either seen a yellowish variety of bulbiferum...although i did once see a magnificient deep red variety...a single flower amonghst a population of about 60 plants in the south of Switzerland

Pontus

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »
Hello,
Here are better pictures of my lilium PUMILUM
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
Just a couple of Martagon, the pink is a first timer for me.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

Roma

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2013, 09:31:52 PM »
Martagon lilies are coming into flower now
I notice some have only a few hairs on the buds and others are very hairy
Lilium martagon
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
Lilium lijiangense from Susan Band
in Moscow

greenspan

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »
@oleg

i had the lijiangense a few years, then i lost it. hardiness wasn't the problem i guess. i have some seedlings, planted in the garden, but they won't grow. only a leaf comes up the last 2 years (of course, i feed them). i have my problems with this lily. :P oleg, please describe the soil and growing conditions (sunny, semi shade?). you seem successful with this lily. 8)

greenspan

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
Martagon lilies are coming into flower now
I notice some have only a few hairs on the buds and others are very hairy
Lilium martagon

it's a normal behaviour of martagon to produce glabrous to hairy buds, even within the same population. but here in my area, i've never seen types with such hairy buds. they are looking great.  8)

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
I have had this lily since 2009. No problems so far. It is grown on a raised bed in semi shade (that is rather sunny in spring but semi shaded later in the season. Cold winter doesn't seem to be a problem as it has survived 4 different winters, with one exceptionally cold without a good layer of snow. I have never checked the soil Ph, but it is supposed to be rather acid. Good drainage, mixture of grit, compost and garden soil, with leaf mould added every second year. No fertilizers. Other plants grow under it rather tightly without any harm to the lily. Liliuokalani martagon thrives nearby. For me it is a very reliable plant (unlike other lilies). But it never multiplies or sets seed.
in Moscow

greenspan

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
thx oleg, helpful hints.  :) i guess i have nearly the same conditions in my garden like you describe. maybe i dig the small bulbs out + try to grow them in a pot for a while. maybe they grow faster then under more controlled conditions.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal